I returned from a week's trip away to find problems with my Asus UX303U laptop. The laptop had been left unplugged in hibernation/sleep mode on a desk while I was gone, and I know that it was not exposed to water or extreme temperatures.

When I first attempted to boot up before plugging in, I was not surprised that it was not successful. Even in hibernation/sleep, I imagine the battery would get low while I was gone. I plugged the power adapter in, the battery light immediately lit orange and the computer booted up successfully. I unfortunately had no reason to check the charging status in windows at this point. I left the laptop charging for a few minutes before returning and plugging in my fitbit to charge. After that I navigated to a video streaming site, started a video and plugged in an HDMI cable connected to the TV. The computer abruptly shut down around a minute or so later. I didn't see any warning, but since I was in full screen video mode I may not have seen any windows warning pop-ups. At this point I noted that the battery light was no longer lit. The computer would no longer power on or respond in any way. I unplugged the fitbit and left the computer to charge overnight. There was no change in the morning. I tried plugging the adapter into multiple wall outlets, all verified to be working with other equipment. The battery light still does not light, and I note that while the adapter had been warm to the touch the previous evening after the brief stint of functioning, it is no longer warm at all. My first thought was that the power adapter may have died. I plugged it in at work and measure the output to be 19V using a fluke meter. Unfortunately I don't have access to another Asus power adapter nor laptop to cross-verify functionality.

Prior to leaving town for a week, I had no battery problems. I was able to run the laptop for a couple of hours on battery power and recall no error messages about the power adapter or charging. Even if my battery had died too far down while I was away, shouldn't the laptop be able to power directly from the adapter bypassing the battery?

I have wondered whether the problem could be poor connection at the charging port, but do not know how to investigate that part. I'm also not sure why it would suddenly go bad when there had been no indications of problem before and no rough usage.

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions for how to proceed next.

Laptop: Asus UX303U

Thanks!
Alison