Computer goes to post screen and stops

Thread: Computer goes to post screen and stops

Computer goes to post screen and stops

Win 7 Home Pro 64
    24 gigs DDR3RAM
    Gigabyte P55 USB3
    Socket 1156
    Radeon 5450

This morning my computer went to the post screen and stopped. I tried again, several times, same thing. No response to keyboard prompts, no bios, nothing. Tried waiting it out, but five minutes was my limit. Then I began pulling out USB devices. Started with the new HP cheapo printer. Then took out an external hard drive. Then I got a normal start. I haven't reformatted in 18 months and am thinking about going to Win 10. This is a good machine for my needs, and has lasted six years with reformats every year or so. Any thoughts? BTW yesterday I went into my BIOS but made no changes. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything but it's a fact. Thanks, amigos~

Reformats has nothing to do with this... Possible failing power supply or one of the things you unplugged is/has problems.

Repeats the steps you did but only unplug one thing at a time.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I think it's a power supply issue. As I thought about it, that made sense. I'm also suspicious of a USB powered WD Passport drive, and I'll do the unplugs today, one at a time. Thanks.

As said: If it powered up after you "Then I began pulling out USB devices." then one of those is the culprit. I would suspect the external hard drive may be drawing too much power thru the port. Don't know why you reformat so often really not needed and as you are aware, takes a long time to reload everything, unless you are imaging the drive.

It's the only USB drive/device that doesn't have its own power supply, a little WD Passport.. I can read the drive after I've started the machine but I can't start when the drive is connected. So...I have a few more tests to make to satisfy my curiosity. You're right, I don't need to reformat like that. It was only a desperation option if I couldn't find another solution.

Thread Information