[RESOLVED] Enabled Ultra Fastboot, usual methods to get into UEFI after this does not work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Enabled Ultra Fastboot, usual methods to get into UEFI after this does not work.

Resolved [RESOLVED] Enabled Ultra Fastboot, usual methods to get into UEFI after this does not work.

Now, i understand that after enabling this I would not be able to press a key and get into UEFI. I have tried command line options to boot to UEFI, and I had a REG file that gave me a RMB menu option to boot to UEFI, and these methods have not worked.

I activated Ultra Fastboot in UEFI, and I clicked a setting in Win10 to Fast Boot. I thought I'd be able to boot to UEFI with various means when I needed it. I have a REG file to give me a RMB menu option to boot to UEFI (I'll post links if I can find the web-page again). I've tried command line ways to boot to UEFI. They have not worked.

I went into the "choose what power buttons do" in windows, and undid what I did there. I think that covers everything I did in Windows, but nothing lets me reboot into UEFI.

I did this, thinking the reboot options I listed above would let me get around it, but everything just reboots and takes me to windows.

I think ASROCK has a utility to do this, but I haven't found it separate, perhaps it's mixed in with a big archive of software, I'll dig some more.

I just have to get into UEFI ONCE and I'm turning Ultra Fastboot off forever.

Win10-64 Pro
    ASROCK Tai-Chi x370
    Ryzen 1700x
    16GB RAM

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for an hour or two, or using the CMOS reset jumper if there is one?

If that works, you may also want to see if you have the latest BIOS update.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for an hour or two, or using the CMOS reset jumper if there is one?

If that works, you may also want to see if you have the latest BIOS update.
    No, I haven't pulled the battery. I kinda want to avoid removing of the battery if I can. That'll wipe everything. It's a last resort option. . .one that may be necessary, though.

Can I update my BIOS if I can't get into it? Oh, I could do it from Windows. My tech friends frown upon updating BIOS from Windows, they absolutely hate it. . .I think I'd pull the battery first. It almost always works (or no one would do it), but as I understand it, you're in for a RMA'd motherboard when it doesn't.

Here's the web-page that hosts the Boot to UEFI RMB menu Registry key. I used this, but it doesn't work.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Also, I located and installed the ASROCK utility to boot to UEFI. It did not work either. Seems like I'm headed for pulling the battery. What's the minimum safe time to pull it and still achieve a wipe? Don't want to put it back in too early and have to start all over again.

I may have a button to wipe CMOS. I'll have to check the manual, but I think I do.
    Last edited by Docjon; May 1st, 2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added link

Updating the BIOS from Windows usually works OK these days, provided the motherboard manufacturer has a decent utility for doing so. Note that the process will usually also reset the BIOS settings to default.

I generally always select the BIOS setting that is the slowest booting but performs the most checks. Fast booting is not really an issue for me though, since I never shut down the systems unless I actually need to.

Did you try the method listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...gacy-bios-mode

Another possibility:

Because Fast Boot will not work if the boot configuration is incorrect, simply remove/disconnect all drives. No operating systems will be present and you can enter Setup normally. From there, disable Fast Boot until you’re done setting up whatever.
    https://superuser.com/questions/1140...into-bios-uefi

Updating the BIOS from Windows usually works OK these days, provided the motherboard manufacturer has a decent utility for doing so. Note that the process will usually also reset the BIOS settings to default.

I generally always select the BIOS setting that is the slowest booting but performs the most checks. Fast booting is not really an issue for me though, since I never shut down the systems unless I actually need to.

Did you try the method listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...gacy-bios-mode
    Which one, there are a few. The standard 'press a key to enter BIOS" doesn't work, of course. Nor does this one:

Or, if Windows is already installed, from either the Sign on screen or the Start menu, select Power (Power button icon) > hold Shift while selecting Restart. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings.

From the firmware menus, boot to drive or network while in UEFI or BIOS mode:

On the boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or BIOS: Network/LAN.

You might see separate commands for the same device. For example, you might see UEFI USB Drive and BIOS USB Drive. Each command uses the same device and media, but boots the PC in a different firmware mode.

Some devices only support one mode (either UEFI or BIOS). Other devices will only allow you to boot to BIOS mode by manually disabling the UEFI security features. To disable the security features, go to Security > Secure Boot and disable the feature.

Some older PCs (Windows 7-era or earlier) support UEFI, but require you to browse to the boot file. From the firmware menus, look for the option: "Boot from file", then browse to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI on Windows PE or Windows Setup media.
    WHen I hold down the shift key while clicking on RESTART, I get nothing. No extra options. When I shift-click on it, I just do the same restart that it's been doing.

GREAT suggestions. I think the disconnecting of the boot drive will at least work, and keep me from having to pull the battery or otherwise wipe bios. Great leads.

Little busy now. Prepping for a procedure tomorrow, can't crawl around on the floor to access my machine, but I'll post back when I do, with further info. I'll try the other idea I can do from Windows, though, and maybe I that will work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You should disconnect ALL drives, as it might try to boot from any drives it finds, and that could cause issues later.

You should disconnect ALL drives, as it might try to boot from any drives it finds, and that could cause issues later.
    That's weird. Just trying and failing to find another boot drive could cause problems? I figured it would just error out when it didn't find anything to boot.

Some BIOS will helpfully attempt to change your boot drive setting if the original boot drive is disconnected. This can cause unwanted results ranging from minor to a major pain, so it might be best to avoid the whole issue by disconnecting all drives. Just make sure you know which connector should go where when you reconnect - label the connectors if needed.

Some BIOS will helpfully attempt to change your boot drive setting if the original boot drive is disconnected. This can cause unwanted results ranging from minor to a major pain, so it might be best to avoid the whole issue by disconnecting all drives. Just make sure you know which connector should go where when you reconnect - label the connectors if needed.
    Geez, the more advanced it gets, the more trouble it causes.

I tried this, it didn't work.
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/a...ios-windows-10

Gonna try the clear CMOS or disconnect all my HDD/SDDs ideas next, but it will have to wait until Thursday. Thanks for the help, I'll be back to say what happened. I don't expect it will be a problem after that - clearing the CMOS should pretty much fix anything.

Thanks. That's one of the things I tried before I posted here, though. Looks like I gotta pull wires or the battery (or push the clear cmos button).

Quote Originally Posted by Docjon View Post
    Geez, the more advanced it gets, the more trouble it causes.

I tried this, it didn't work.
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/a...ios-windows-10

Gonna try the clear CMOS or disconnect all my HDD/SDDs ideas next, but it will have to wait until Thursday. Thanks for the help, I'll be back to say what happened. I don't expect it will be a problem after that - clearing the CMOS should pretty much fix anything.

I hurt my back lifting my 13# munitor, so I had trouble working with my hardware, getting down low enough to do anything with it, to press the "clear CMOS" button, etc. A couple weeks of bad back pain, then I woke up one day and couldn't walk. Turns out medicine I was taking made my bones brittle, and I had four compression fractures of my vertebrae. After about 9 months in and out of hospitals and rehab centers, I'm finally home.

I SAID I'd be back to tell you what happened. I looked up online how to reset my CMOS using the button on my motherboard. That did the trick. Had to play with a setting to get it to recognize my RAM as 3200, but that was it. Thanks to those who offered their help all that time ago.

I hate leaving things undone.

Thread Information