Can I buy a phone that a cell carrier does not sell and it will still work. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can I buy a phone that a cell carrier does not sell and it will still work.

Thanks SpywareDr - I just ordered the one you suggested ---> Motorola Moto G7 Power 64GB+3GB

Thank you so much for helping me. As I said my reading comp is not so good at my age and comparing one phone to another is almost a tremendous feat for me. You did me good on my BLU VivoX and I appreciate that also even though it was almost two years ago.

Can't wait to get my new Motorola Moto G7 Power 64GB+3GB.
    Ordered a case and screen protector with it. I will use my SD card from my Vivo for this phone. I would assume I can since the G7 is good up to 512Gigs on the SD. Mine is 64 Gigs.

Thanks again SpywareDr

P.S. - Needless to say I bought the warranty for this phone also :-)

Thumbs up

Wow, that was quick. Sure hope if fulfills your needs. My wife loves Motorola's phones.

Best of luck with it.

Yes it was quick. Figured there was no sense in delaying the purchase. You gave me good advice on the first phone so decided to go with it again. As I said it is becomiing more difficult for me to read and understand so comparing the technical aspects of phones is not an easy task for me.

I hope it works out as well as the Blu did.

Also, since the warranty company won't send me my check until I send my old phone back I wanted to get the new one ASAP.

Thanks again. Will let you know how the new one works out after awhile.

Stay healthy!

I am the OP of this thread.
    I am continuing this thread thinking it would be better/easier to have this history behind my question.
    Moderator/s if you want to make this into a separate thread that is fine with me.

Oh No!! Here we go again.

My Motorola Moto G7 Power will not be functioning after Jan 2022 according to Cricket. I have received several text messages and now when I make a phone call it is redirected to their customer care team. Something about their new/different network.

I purchased this GSM unlocked phone off of Amazon and put in a Cricket sim card. I wanted Cricket because I live out in the boon docks and it seems that only AT&t will give me reliable coverage in this area.

I don't know what is up with Cricket, but they want me to upgrade to a different phone. Is this ligit? I don't know anything about these phones. How am I to tell if my phone won't operate on their new network etc. I don't want to be spending a lot of money on another phone if not needed. The main reason why I bought this phone was because most of the phones that come with the carrier services have a max internal storage of 16 gigs etc. My phone has 64 gigs of internal.

Does anyone know what is going on with Cricket update? I want to know if my present phone will work; I don't want to take the word of the customer service rep only.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks so much.

If you are using the phone in 2G or 3G mode, that is what is being discontinued. That phone should be able to use 4G mode, which is not being discontinued. You may need to switch modes.

Links:

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

https://www.motorola-support.com/uk-...2g-3g-and-4g/1

Hmmm, Criclet Wireless shows a Motorola Moto G Power on their home screen. Might want to call and ask them what the difference is between it and yours maybe?

--edit--

I forgot about that part jdc2000, thanks.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; December 13th, 2021 at 02:21 PM.

jdc200 and spywaredr as usual thank you so much for your very helpful information and assistance!!

jdc2000 I checked the list of phones that will continue to work after the change over and my phone will not work apparently.
    My model is xt1955-2 which is not listed.

Also, after following the instructions to switch modes I find that the only modes available are:
    LTE (recommended)
    3G
    2G

So I guess I have to assume that my phone will no longer work.

spywaredr - my concern with calling cricket is that I will get a sales pitch to switch to a phone of theirs even though I may not need it.

Now that I have checked the list I have to assume that my phone will no longer be useful in Feb 2022 - GREAT!!

I guess I will have to start looking around for another phone. This is not the time to think about spending money on another phone with so many other expenses I have to cover but so be it I have no choice.

What information do I need to know when looking for another phone now?
    I would think 4G capable, GSM unlocked and at least 64 gig internal. Does this sound correct?

Thank again for your help.

The G7 Power is about 3 years old. If the phone supports VoLTE, it should work. Please check the full model number.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...atibility.html

Moto G7 Power model XT1955-5

jdc2000 thanks for the links.

the second phone
    https://www.amazon.com/Snapdragon-Un...08NG5Z6YL&th=1
    says no warranty in the USA

I paid $79 for my warranty for my first phone the blue vivo X and when it crapped out they paid me back the full price of the phone. I think it was something like $240. So a warranty is important to me.

midknyte
    Yes, I checked the full model #. Mine ends in a 2 where as the one on the list ends with a 5
    My model is XT1955-2

Hmm, those models have slight differences, but the -2 might still work. According to this, the -2 is for Mexico, and the -5 is for the US markets?

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/ph...1955-5/9795726

In the end, I think you'll have to check with Cricket, but there's a chance that it will work with their VoLTE.

One possibility is that the LTE setting will still work after the 2G and 3G transceivers are decommissioned. The only way to know for sure would be to see if the phone still works in February 2022. Cricket personnel may or may not know for sure, or may still try to sell you a new phone.

The question is how long you can afford to be without a phone if your existing one does not work after the 2G/3G deactivation.

Urgh!! So much to read and understand.
    My mind is not so sharp at 65 anymore.

Yes, jdc2000 - you are correct. If my phone won't work with the LTE then I am sol. Like most people I don't have a land line anymore (for years now). So I would have no phone at all. I don't want to take that chance.
    However, even with the switch over to 4G - my concern is and please let me know if this should be a concern because I don't know much about this stuff. Once 2 and 3G are decommissioned and 4G is the only thing remaining even if I have a 4G capable phone will being way out in the boon docks where I live possibly be a challenge getting a signal.. An AT&T carrier phone is the only one that works in my area and the surrounding area. Is there a chance that the 4G won't work with even a 4G phone because of the area I live in or because I geet signal with 2 and 3G the 4g should work anyway.

midkynte
    I took a look at that chart comparision. I see where you mean what -2 and -5 represent and it is confusing.
    It says I only have one sim slot when I know I have 2 sim slots. Even in my settings I see a setting for the second sim slot card if I had one. Also under Networks it shows I should have 4G capability. Something does not seem right.

I looked at some of the phones on Moto's site. There is a lot to compare and also reading the reviews before I decide on what I want and even if I want another Moto. the other phone I had Blu Vivo X was a great phone (better than my Moto) but it crapped out.. I may want to consider another Blu phone.

Thread Information