Permissions issue

Thread: Permissions issue

Permissions issue

I don't know how it happened but suddenly I have no permissions on any of my files or external disks.

How do I become the biggest Administrator known to man?

Not an administrator with another, more powerful one hidden somewhere.

I mean GOD!

Thanks - rev

Train: That works but I have many TB of audio samples, each key of a piano sampled at 40 different velocities for example. It takes 13.7 billion years to change permissions on a disk like that using this method. Is there no quicker way? Something changed my permissions instantly but I have to spend the age of the universe putting them back?

My 2 TB hdd took a hour or so for the whole hdd

I ran this at the cmd to count files: dir \ /s /a /w and I have 1.3 million files on C:\. The data drives might contain 10 times that number. I suppose I could watch paint dry in the meantime. You gotta do what you gotta do...

The above method of counting is pretty fast, Folder Size is still working on how many gigs there are.

You can add a "take ownership" to your right-click menu. I would only use it on your external drive files, not your entire C: drive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...menu-in-vista/

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip download link.

I'd check your Event Viewer to see if anything happened to cause the ownership change. That's really bizarre. Maybe run a Malwarebytes scan too.

Thanks, I already have Take Ownership in my context menu. MBAM only found a bunch of PUPs, haven't checked event viewer.

My theory is that I copied a file from someone else's drive that was made by a media player device.info or similar, I thought that files just contained a catalog of disk contents but maybe there are permissions in there too? Otherwise I can't account for it.

Merely copying a file should not change the ownership permissions of the entire drive.

Yeah, think of the havoc media players would create!

On a couple of disks, I can't even right click to get to Properties, 'access denied.'

If I see the invisible Administrator, I'm going to write him a strongly worded Word doc...

Thread Information