NO SATA IN BIOS

Thread: NO SATA IN BIOS

NO SATA IN BIOS

I have this elderly PC I'm playing around with : An Acer Aspire T650. The MB has both SATA & IDE ports. The cdrom is setup on the primary IDE. I am trying to introduce a SATA HD so as to install an OS. However, the bios has no support for SATA. I was able to get all drivers from ACER including hopefully a bios update. The PC seems to support USB, so I added the bios update to a USB flash drive hoping to trick the PC into getting it to recognize the HD. No luck. I ordered a cable that would connect the HD directly to the PC's USB port but not sure how this will play out. Any ideas or suggestions ?? Thanks much , for your time .....
    Where there's a will, there's a way

P4 cpu
    Where are going to find a browser that will work with it?

Fixing to dump the last couple P4 powered rigs I have . Yes I also use Linux.

Well Train, I guess I would just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. The only reason I am fiddling with this PC, is that it's good therapy for the brain ) I get a certain type of satisfaction when I can accomplish something.I really don't need it. I hope to fix it & then move on. Anyway, thanks for the reply & a " Happy Christmas" to you & yours..............

If the BIOS update does not provide SATA support, you have a few options:

1. Use a PATA HD for the OS.

2. Use a PCI SATA card with its own BIOS that allows booting from a hard drive connected to the add-in card.

3. Use a SATA to PATA converter for the SATA HD so you can connect it to the PATA controller on the MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Well Train, I guess I would just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. The only reason I am fiddling with this PC, is that it's good therapy for the brain ) I get a certain type of satisfaction when I can accomplish something.I really don't need it. I hope to fix it & then move on. Anyway, thanks for the reply & a " Happy Christmas" to you & yours..............
    Good therapy is right. Go for it. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Antix 16 should work fine on it.

Thanks for the info on the SATA TO PADA jdc2000. I never knew there was such a thing. Anyway, I ordered one. A little over $5. So that seemed to be the path of least resistance.
    You guys have a great new year.....

You would not believe the number of adapters that we can use that have shown up.

I am trying to introduce a SATA HD so as to install an OS. However, the bios has no support for SATA.
    That system came with a SATA hard drive, didn't it?

What is the make/model of the SATA hard drive you are using? If it's a SATA II or newer, you'd probably have to enable the SATA I compatibility limit jumper.

Midknyte, I picked this machine up at a garage sale. It did not have a drive. However, you may be correct as I noticed that there was a black SATA cable stuffed in the chassis. The drive that I was trying to use is a Seagate 750 Barracuda 7200.12. As for the SATA I compatibility limit jumper, I am totally in the dark on that one. Thanks for stepping in.....

https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/...100529369b.pdf

That's a SATAIII (6Gb) drive, so you should use the SATAI limit jumper. Look at pg. 22 of the manual.

Midknyte; I am sorry to say : that Barracuda 7200.12 is 750gbs

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Yes it is and yes it is a SATA III hdd.

I don't get what you are sorry about. SATAIII = 6Gb/s, SATAI = 1.5Gb/s.

Oops, I should have said Gb, not GB. Fixed it.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...i-and-sata-iii
    SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

Thanks for the info, Midknyte; I looked at that website & found what you were referring to regarding jumpers for the drive. The rest of the SATA lingo is greek to me. All I know about SATA is that what they show on storage capacity . The storage on this one is 750gb.And of course one will only get a certain persentage of that for actual storage. That all I know about drives. The rest of the goble-de-gook, I 'll leave for you GURUS. To old to sweat it. Thanks & have a merry Christmas...................

Thread Information