[RESOLVED] Laptop won't boot - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Laptop won't boot

I am in partedMagic, but I can't see any of my stuff on there... I have file manager, system Profiler,Keyboard layout, Disk health, Monitor Settings, Network Manager, partition editor, there is a mount gtk? Desktop, 6 different ones.....Not sure I am in the right place, could you tell me where I start and where I got to get my stuff off the HDD??
    I just got to thinking, did you mean for me to use the Vista or the windows 7 that is working?

Thanks

did you mean for me to use the Vista or the windows 7 that is working?
    My notes were for BEFORE you removed the Vista drive.

Open the File Manager. It is similar to Windows Explorer. The drives are listed on the left hand side. You'd just open the Vista drive, and then copy the files to another hard drive or flash drive.

Ok I copied the files from OS, but for the life of me I can't find a place to send to my external or save them to hdd, Please tell me how to do that...I have looked at everything with no luck????

Both your internal and external drives should be listed in the left hand menu. They will not have names like C: or D:. It's easiest to just look at the size description of the drive. (Ex. sda1 466G)

Did you plug in your external BEFORE you booted to Parted Magic? I'm not sure that Parted Magic automatically mounts USB drives if you plug them in after boot.

This might help: https://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Both your internal and external drives should be listed in the left hand menu. They will not have names like C: or D:. It's easiest to just look at the size description of the drive. (Ex. sda1 466G)

Did you plug in your external BEFORE you booted to Parted Magic? I'm not sure that Parted Magic automatically mounts USB drives if you plug them in after boot.

This might help: https://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html
    Nice link. Thank you!

Well, I can't take credit for that one, but thanks.

I did a quick write-up and posted it in the UBCD5 Guide (post #6). Let me know if it makes sense.

Does fine for me. Glad you posted it there. Now we all can find it.

Yes I plugged my external before I booted into Parted Magic... I found my files and copied them, but I could not find a place to paste into mo external hdd..... So I decided I will try and clone my files, it is still working, so not sure I got anything... Fingers crossed.. Thanks for the information....

but I could not find a place to paste into mo external hdd
    What do you mean? Are you sure you selected the right drive?
    Did you follow my instructions on the UBCD5 guide post #6? It should be pretty straightforward.

Well it ran out of space so going to have to start all over.... I may have to wait until next week to try again, I am having my family here for Christmas, and I got lots to do....Will check back with you later. I will look at post #6 again and hopefully get it done..

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas....

Well, you definitely need to make sure your target drive has enough space for the data.

How did you try to "clone" your files? You'd only need to copy your data files. It doesn't make sense to copy all the Windows system files.

Good luck and Happy Holidays

I agree, was not smart to clone the drive....going to copy files I need only...

Happy Holidays to you also...

I finally got my files backed up, that was a big relief... From now on I will keep my personal stuff backed up...
    Thanks to both of you for all your help, after I found my external hdd, it was simple...

I still don't know what caused it to crash....Only thing I did find on one of the tests I ran, was could be a corrupt or missing NLS file. I reinstalled Vista, working on getting all the drivers loaded....I may go ahead and change to Windows 7......

Thanks Again and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....

Thread Information