[RESOLVED] Laptop won't boot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Laptop won't boot

Resolved [RESOLVED] Laptop won't boot

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista 32 bit, 2008.... It won't boot, won't go to safe mode. I have the Dell Cd, but when I try to do a repair, it says I am trying to install a different OS then the one on my Pc. I only have one Vista laptop 1720, so I know it is the correct re-installation CD...
    I have ran every diagnostics I can find for Dell and it has passed everything.. I don't know where to go from here.

I have several things on my laptop that I would like to save, rather than do a clean install...

Another strange thing, when I was using the cd to find some drivers, I seen the drives on my laptop and I had a C:drive, D: Recovery, E: DVD and also a F: drive X, not sure where that came from, never seen it before.

I know its probably too late, but just thought I would check with you Smart Guys and see if you had any suggestions.
    I have no ideal what happened, one day it worked fine, next day it wouldn't boot...

Thanks for any help.....
    patti686

What exactly happens when you try to boot the laptop? DO you get any error messages? Does anything appear on the screen?

Also, post the exact message you get when you attempt the repair?

Possibly useful link:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...ell-pc?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What exactly happens when you try to boot the laptop? DO you get any error messages? Does anything appear on the screen?

Also, post the exact message you get when you attempt the repair?

Possibly useful link:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...ell-pc?lang=en
    This version of system recovery options is not compatible with version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows.

Drives showing:
    c drive os
    d drive recovery
    e drive dvd
    boot: X don't know what this drive is??

Thanks for help.....

Quote Originally Posted by patti686 View Post
    This version of system recovery options is not compatible with version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows.

Drives showing:
    c drive os
    d drive recovery
    e drive dvd
    boot: X don't know what this drive is??

Thanks for help.....
    Is that the message you get WITH or WITHOUT the cd?

The without cd is what we're needing to know.

We need the original error message, not the error when you're trying to do the repair.

Why are you trying to do the repair first? You should get the DATA off first. You could try booting to a Live Linux disc first. UBCD5 has Parted Magic, which includes a file manager. Otherwise, you could remove the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure.

I have ran every diagnostics I can find for Dell and it has passed everything
    Which diags did you run exactly? I would have run the hard drive manufacturer's diags. It's pointless to do a repair if the hard drive is failing.

This version of system recovery options is not compatible with version of windows you are trying to repair.
    Does the Vista disc match the service pack level of the installed Vista? If not, that might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Is that the message you get WITH or WITHOUT the cd?

The without cd is what we're needing to know.
    This is with CD, only thing I get without CD is a flashing line upper left corner... I get that after the Dell post

I don't get a error message, it just won't boot into windows.... I ran harddrive, memory, almost all of the ones on dell diagnostics. passed

No the CD is sp 1 and mine is sp 3....

I thought I could do a repair and then back my stuff up... How would I use Linux disk? Never used that before...Also what about Ultimate Boot CD 5 guide? Could I get in to back my stuff up with that?

Thanks for replying.... I don't have a USB enclosure, I might try hooking hdd to another computer and see if I can get it that way..

I might try hooking hdd to another computer and see if I can get it that way..
    You will need to take ownership of the drive is all. After jumping in the hdd.

I have used that trick many times over the years.

You should be able to reinstall Vista, however, you should back up any files on the drive first, just in case. You can attach the drive to another computer to do this. You might consider making an image backup of it in addition to copying any files, in case you later find you need files that you didn't get when copying.

After that, some of the links below might assist with an over-the-top re-install of Vista.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.8yftydLTG3U

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    You will need to take ownership of the drive is all. After jumping in the hdd.

I have used that trick many times over the years.

Thank you for the information....I am going to the UBCD5 guide, and see if I can figure it out....

I will let you know how it goes.....

There is no such thing as Vista SP3. It only went up to SP2. In any case, the Vista disc version must match the installed version in order to do a repair.
    Otherwise, you can try an over the top install, but then you'd need to reinstall the SP later.

For UBCD5, you would probably need to burn the image to a CD or DVD (instructions are in the guide), since your system may not support booting from a flash drive.
    I'd connect a flash drive or external USB hard drive to the computer first, and then boot from UBCD5.
    At the boot menu, choose Parted Magic and allow it to boot to a Linux desktop. No installation required. The file manager is similar to Windows. Just copy your data to the flash/external hdd.

I ran harddrive, memory, almost all of the ones on dell diagnostics. passed
    Personally, I would still run the hard drive manufacturer's diags. I'm not sure how thorough the Dell diags are.

I ran the UBCD, I ran the memory test 3 times, ran the quick HDD test, passed, so then I ran the extended, and it also passed.

I guess I was thinking of xp with SP3...so I guess my Vista is SP2... I may run the HDD diagnostics, if it checks ok, then I will just try hooking it up to my other computer and see if I can save my stuff....
    Thanks for all the information, will keep you informed...

Got a problem, I got my hdd hooked up to my windows 7 desktop and it shows as e drive, but it says I don't have access to this drive?
    I have done this so many time, and never had this trouble, not be able to see the second drive...

Any suggestions, or do I just give up on losing my stuff and do a clean install??

Thanks again...

Can you see any of the folders on that drive? If yes, you can Take Ownership of them.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-41505ad19222

As I mentioned before, you can boot to a Live Linux disc and copy your files that way.

I'd connect a flash drive or external USB hard drive to the computer first, and then boot from UBCD5.
    At the boot menu, choose Parted Magic and allow it to boot to a Linux desktop. No installation required. The file manager is similar to Windows. Just copy your data to the flash/external hdd.

Thread Information