Need to test my internet connection

Thread: Need to test my internet connection

Need to test my internet connection

I played some Left 4 Dead this weekend with a friend. We often play games together, and usually my ping in other games we've played is under 80. This weekend, my pings were about 210. We switched and I hosted, and HE had pings at around 210.

I tried rebooting my computer, the ping issue with the game persisted. After we were done gaming, I unplugged the router for ten minutes, but don't know how it helped, if at all.

I've noticed over the past several days that my surfing has been a little off. Sometimes I'll go to a website I often go to, and the site won't load. It will take a few tries, or I'll just give up and try later. That hasn't happened before.

I'd like to test my connection. Other that running the usual speedtests, I don't really know much about that, and I don't think they are necessarily what I need here. How might I more thoroughly test my connection to see if there are issues? I don't want to wait until next weekend and had another crappy game night.

Thanks for your advice.

Win10 Pro
    12GB RAM
    GTX 960 4GB video card
    other stuff

I have a fiber connection through my local utility company. I'm suppose to have 20 up/20 down, but I think I have more than that on the down side, anyway. Seems rather variable to me.

A voltage variation can and will cause routers and modems to latch up .

Power cycle the items in turn and have them on their own UPS to stop that garbage.

Thanks again Train, always appreciated. FWIW, my computer, main monitor, and router are on the same UPS. The essentials. I power-cycled the router after the gaming session. Had it been a longer game night, I probably would have stopped for awhile and did it at that time.

Hopefully next game night will show better results.

I split and have the modem and router on their own.
    Still have a few tools from back in my work days.

Thread Information