[RESOLVED] Uninstalling Programs

Thread: [RESOLVED] Uninstalling Programs

Resolved [RESOLVED] Uninstalling Programs

What ho one and all,

I know that Microsoft do not want me to have any control over my computer but I do want it.

I have a recently acquired Dell with W7 installed. I have been installing a few programs, one of which is AVG. I now want to use MSE and have also installed it, so want to uninstall AVG.

But whatever I do, I hit the Administrator account does not give permission wall. I have tried to change the security settings to give me permission, but that either says that an error has happened and will not proceed or that I do not have administrator privileges to change the settings.

Frankly, I have no idea about admin accounts. On my main computer, I have XP with myself as the only user, no password protection and everything works just fine. I can alter anything, install / uninstall anything.

I did read that running CMD and entering 'net user administrator /active:yes gave me access but that is not doing anything (as far as I can see.) I tried to remove AVG from the command window, but again, zilch.

How do I get this kind of control over W7?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.
    https://www.avg.com/en-us/utilities

Those Antigarbage things are so bad, unless you use their uninstaller, you are sunk. Tons of junk gets left behind.

Thanks, I'll get it.

In the past, I usually use Revo Uninstaller and find it to be pretty good. But is did not want to touch AVG.

Geek uninstaller should do the trick.
    Now revo has 32 and a 64 bit uninstallers. My guess you have the wrong version.

I don't think so as Revo has uninstalled other programs on this W7 installation.

What I found is that AVG was installed in Programs Files (x86) folder and Program Data. The x86 entry is now empty, but the Program Data is not and that is the one I am trying to eliminate. I ran Delete on Boot yesterday and have deleted all the files within the folders, but still, cannot remove the folders themselves.

Every effort to obtain Admin rights or any sort of permission ends with the same message, namely attachment 1.

ErrorMessage4 (Medium).JPGErrorMessage1 (Medium).JPGErrorMessage2 (Medium).JPGErrorMessage3 (Medium).JPG

As can be seen from 2 and 3, I seem to have all the permissions although I cannot select 'Special Permission.'

And finally, there is the message in attachment 4. What the **** does 'Stopping propagation of permission' mean?

'Stopping propagation of permission' mean?
    Normally when we change permissions, on say a folder, those same permissions are applied to everything inside. That came to a halt with that statement.

Change the folder names. Seen that work a time or two.

You may have to take ownership of the folder before you can delete it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/301768/how...rs-in-windows/

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.2ce8XkO9WoI

If that fails, you have some other options:

1. You could try using the built-in Administrator account. You will probably have to enable that:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

2. You could remove the drive and connect it to a different system, then take ownership of and remove the sub-folder.

If it is this complex to remove something unwanted, that is not an original system file, then my belief that computers are the work of the Devil is correct!

Have not tried your work-around yet, but did attempt to rename in the Admin a/c. I don't understand W7 at all, but in Admin, there is no Program Data folder! And therefore, no reference to AVG because it seems to have been uninstalled.

Back in my User a/c, I changed permissions and tried to rename the AVG folder, only to be told that I did not have Admin rights to do so. Tried to rename one of sub-folders and was informed it was not possible because the file (folder) was in use by another service. That cannot be so since I have already deleted every file within the folders! Cnt/Alt/Del did not show any reference to AVG running, so no idea what that message implies.

Am wondering about reinstalling AVG and trying to uninstall again with AVG Remover. May be that will find all the left-over crap.

If the folder is in use by a Service, you would need to check Services to see if any AVG remnant is still present and running.

If you log in using the Administrator account, you may need to verify that you have that account set to show ALL files and folders in Windows Explorer.

I did check but think it was only from the User a/c and that is because in the Admin a/c, the Program Data folder is not there or not visible. Not sure what I have in folder Options for the Admin a/c.

All I know is, AVG sure as hell did not want their program uninstalled, and MS sure as hell made it bloody impossible to change anything. I will either try to reinstall and then uninstall with AVG Remover, or as suggested, remove the hdd and delete the file while the hdd is plugged in as an external to my other computer.

It's been quite a trial but thanks for the advice. Finally managed to get rid of the remnants.

Booted into Safe Mode, Admin, but ProgramData folder is not there. Should have seen if Folder Options said display all files but I don't understand why they are not all displayed as an Administrator by default. isn't that the purpose of Administrator?

However, re-booted into Safe Mode, User a/c (where ProgramData is visible) changed to Admin privileges and low and behold, right click/delete and bingo, AVG has gone. Job done!

One happy bunny. Toodle pip

Rex

Should have seen if Folder Options said display all files but I don't understand why they are not all displayed as an Administrator by default. isn't that the purpose of Administrator?
    You'd have to "Show hidden files and folders", not just display all files. ProgramData is a hidden folder. Being an Administrator doesn't automatically unhide files and folders.

You didn't give them your grandmother's maiden name.

I think the UAC causes more problems than it's worth. If you scan the titles on this forum, you'll see lots with my user name, to say nothing of www.sevenforums. Even when you're admin and you swing a dead chicken around your head 3 times, the system doesn't want to install or uninstall certain programs. It took me 1.5 years, not constantly of course, to figure out how to trick the system into installing a particular program for work. I sneaked another one in by getting into the policy settings, gave up a few others.

If you're getting UAC protection from the system for everything, how is it that people are still getting infected? I really hate Win 7.

Install Unlocker to rid yourself of leftover folders.
    Last edited by foxy; December 2nd, 2017 at 04:18 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information