Create a CD to read on Windows 10

Thread: Create a CD to read on Windows 10

Create a CD to read on Windows 10

Several years ago when vendors gave away "freebies" with computers I had receceived two 4" floppy discs, from Quicken, that allowed me to make checkbook entries onto the computer, then make a print out.
    Later, when computers did away with the floppy drive, I made an enquiry on google to see if the two discs could be written to one CD. One friend from the UK responded saying he could make a copy to CD for a nominal fee - I was really pleased, the disc worked perfectly, until I recently ordered a system with Windows 10. It does not read the disc.
    Does anyone know if this CD can be rewritten to a new CD - that can be read by Win 10 The checkbook register they show in their new program is too complicated.

Clean the cd.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Dirty-CD

May even use a cleaner cd to clean the cdrom lens.

what they look like.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cdro...g5B9sQ_AUIBygC

Even had use one of these.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disc-Protec.../dp/B008AVIT1I

Remember when you burn a cd/dvd, use a lower speed so all the data gets burned to the disk. Learned that the hard way.

Train, I doubt that it's a dirty disc. I tried the disc on a system that's running Win 7, also on another running Win 10, which was upgraded from Win 7, to Win 10, - on both machines the program opened. The only difference I note - my current machine is running Win 10, 64 bit, whereas the other two are 32 bit. I'm not a software type so I don't have an answer. Thanks for your response.

You could try copying the CD to a new CD of a different brand. It is probably the CD/DVD drive on the Windows 10 system that is causing the problem, not Widows 10 itself.

Does the disk normally autorun? That is- open and then run automatically when you insert it? Try to view the the disk in Windows file explorer and see if it shows the contents and then try to run the program manually from there.

It's possible you may need to set what Windows does when you insert a CD...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-au...lts-windows-10

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

The CD does not autorun. On one of the systems that was upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, when I inserted the CD - clicked on 'My Computer' stating the disc could not be read and displayed something about "NTVDM". Clicked OK. When I next inserted the CD clicked on the CD icon in 'My Computer'. the program opened. I've tried "googling" NYVDM, but all I seen to gather is that the Win 10 is now compatible to Win 7.

Guess I'll look around - see if I can find a discarded Win 7 or XP. Thanks for your help guys.

NTVDM is used to run 16-bit apps. You should really look for a different app. There might even be freebie apps that can do what you want now.

Belzie,
    You Googled the Wrong thing. If you'll note, looks like you Googled NYVDM and not NTVDM. If you try Googling NTVDM you should get lots of info, here's some reading for you, doubt it will help: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/enab...rt-windows-10/
    Midknyte is right, that's most likely a 16-bit Program and Windows 10 64-bit version of Windows Doesn't Support NTVDM, the 32-bit does but takes a bit of work to activate it in Win10 32-bit. They say you can set up a Virtual Machine to run the program. Hope this has helped!
    Last edited by bugspop1; November 25th, 2016 at 01:26 AM.

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional