[RESOLVED] Booting---3rd problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Booting---3rd problem

Resolved [RESOLVED] Booting---3rd problem

To be honest, I'm not even sure this is a booting problem, or even a Windows 7 problem, but it's an irritation which occurs when I boot this Windows 7 system.

Toward the end of the boot process my system pops up a window, from the router I think, which says, "Please plug in a wireless network adapter." This tower is hard wired to the router, so I really am not sure about a wireless adapter. I simply click "OK" and the pop up goes away, leaving a router screen which offers grayed out choices. I've tried plugging in a USB wireless adapter, but got the same pop up. I did not unplug the hard wire.

In a previous usage, in a previous location, I did use the wireless adapter, without the hard wire.

The tower is a recently converted system. It's a Dell Dimension E5150 with a new hard drive and new RAM. All previous hard drives and RAM were removed during the upgrade process.

Since I have this tower hard wired it would be very nice to not see this pop up, to not have to take the extra step.

Turn off WLAN Autoconfig if you don't need

1. Click Windows Key or Start Logo
    2. type services.msc and hit enter
    3. Locate and stop (then disable) WLAN Auto Config service

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Turn off WLAN Autoconfig if you don't need

1. Click Windows Key or Start Logo
    2. type services.msc and hit enter
    3. Locate and stop (then disable) WLAN Auto Config service

I did all that, easy job, and still have the same problem. I still get the popup wanting me to plug in a wireless network adapter. When I look at Services.msc, the WLAN AutoConfig is marked as disabled.

Anything else I can try? Should I leave the WLAN AutoConfig svc disabled?

What is the make/model of the router? Did you install any configuration software from the router?

This doesn't sound like a popup from a Windows service. I wouldn't classify this as a booting problem either.

If applicable,
    Remove any/all Dell Dimension E5150's wireless driver/utility via the Control Panel.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    What is the make/model of the router? Did you install any configuration software from the router?

This doesn't sound like a popup from a Windows service. I wouldn't classify this as a booting problem either.
    The router is a TP-Link, model TL-WDR3500. I remember installing the configuration software when I made this my primary computer. It came on one of those small mini-disks. Could I have missed something in the installation? Should I perhaps do another installation, right over the top of what is there, paying closer attention to everything?

I'm tempted also to enable what Train had me disable, plug in the USB adapter, pull the hard wired connection, just to see what happens, compare. I'll perhaps wait on that adventure, though, until I hear back from you all.

The router is a TP-Link, model TL-WDR3500. I remember installing the configuration software when I made this my primary computer.
    I'm guessing it's the TP-Link software. Uninstall it. You shouldn't need software to configure a router. I've seen posts on other forums mentioning TP-Link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...e-adapter.html

I did as I mentioned this morning. I reversed Train's instructions, I disconnected the hard wire, and plugged in the USB adapter. I then rebooted, and everything went as normal. There was no pop-up telling me to plug in a USB adapter. I got the expected screen telling me what network I was connected to, and what other networks were within range.

The question remains, why can I not connect by hard wire to the router without being told to plug in a USB adapter?

Do you have TP-Link software installed or not? Like I said, it's probably the TP-Link software that is prompting you to install a USB Wifi adapter. This is not a native behavior of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Do you have TP-Link software installed or not? Like I said, it's probably the TP-Link software that is prompting you to install a USB Wifi adapter. This is not a native behavior of Windows.
    Yes, the TP-Link software is installed. I too believe that software is the root of this problem. It worked well in previous usages. It suddenly seems to have a problem.

I'm not sure how to uninstall it, as you have suggested, and even less sure of how to configure the router without it.

Easy , in your browser type in http://192.168.0.1
    Or you can click that link.
    That will bring up the sign in applet. Unless you have changed it.

http://www.cleancss.com/router-defau...INK/TL-WDR3500

All home WiFi routers can be configured via browser. If the router is working, you don't have to fiddle with it right now. Just remove the TPLink software.

"Just remove the TP-Link software."

I have found: 1) C:\program files\TP-Link wireless configuration utility (which seems to have no uninstall option), and 2) Device Manager, Network Adapters\ TP-Link wireless USB adapter (I can either disable or uninstall this one).

Which one of these would I want to get rid of? If it is the configuration utility, would I use "add/remove programs", or Revo uninstaller?

Things are working quite well now, other than the fact that I'd prefer to have my primary system hard wired rather than the USB adapter it is on now. At the same time, I need the wireless ability for laptops and other devices.

Which one of these would I want to get rid of? If it is the configuration utility, would I use "add/remove programs", or Revo uninstaller?
    The TP-Link application. Even if you remove the adapter, Windows will try to redetect it.
    If anything, the app should be listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features
    If so, Revo should work fine. Make sure to download the latest version for 64-bit support.

That seems to have worked very well. I uninstalled the TP-Link software, pulled the USB adapter, and plugged in the hard wire connection to the router. On the first boot things went quite well. The system did not complain at all. It acted just as I wanted it to act.

I thank you Sir, once again, for your help in resolving my issues.

Thread Information