Acronis TI 11 and Windows 7

Thread: Acronis TI 11 and Windows 7

Acronis TI 11 and Windows 7

Now that I have W7 up and running, thanks to the good help of the forum, I'm ready to start backing everything up. All my data has been transferred, and I think all the programs I need. Now I want to safeguard everything.

I have a box set issue of Acronis True Image 11 Home, which I've used for years on W2000 and XP. It has a bootable CD. Much to my shock the supported OS's do not include W7. This is not a good thing.

However, according to http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-re...11-ok-7-a.html I can still use TI 11 for backing up.

Questions:
    1) Will this work as well as claimed?
    2) Is there an alternative backup program, freeware, which is more recommended?

I'll be backing up onto a stand-alone USB hard drive. It is currently connected and working.

What brand of hard drive do you have? You could download the free version of Acronis TI from Western Digital or Seagate.

If Acronis says Win7 isn't supported, I wouldn't chance it. TI didn't support Win7 until version 2010 (2 versions after 11).

4breezes--
    Acronis True Image 11 Home is ancient. (See the dates on the link you provided.) Its functionality on Win 7 is very limited. For $30 or less, I think you will be happier with the latest version.
    http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Sorry for the delay. Yesterday was a bust day.

I was wanting to use Acronis TI 11 because that is what I had. However, I saw the wisdom offered, and downloaded the WD current version. It is running now, and will eventually be done. I started the backup last night at 11:30 and it is still churning at 8:45. That's over 9 hours and still working.

I am posting this morning from the laptop.

9 hours? How much data do you have? That's why I always partition my drives; C: for OS/apps, D: for data.

Is your external USB 2.0 or 3.0?

How much data? I think it's about 89 Gb. The drive setup is about as you have. I'll have to check to be more definite.

I have a lifetime of pictures transferred to the computer. That's most of the data. It's all going through aUSB2 cable to the backup drive.

89GB? Ouch. Next time, I would exclude the data files/folders from your image. That will make your backups and restores much quicker. I never include data with my TI images; I always backup the data separately,

And then on top of that, it's only USB 2.0. No wonder it's taking forever.

DONE!!! It finished somewhere between 24 and 26 hours. For a while I thought I would die of old age before it was finished. More in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    89GB? Ouch. Next time, I would exclude the data files/folders from your image. That will make your backups and restores much quicker. I never include data with my TI images; I always backup the data separately,

And then on top of that, it's only USB 2.0. No wonder it's taking forever.

I see the sense in what you're saying, and will have to think about that. Doing that would mean re-arranging my drives.

The way I have things set up now:
    C:\ W7 and some Apps, and all my email
    D:\ More Apps and lots of pictures
    E:\ Data and more pictures

This is all on a single 1Tb drive.

In all honesty I think it would be easier to re-install the OS and the Apps on C:\ than it would be to re-scan all the pictures. That is to say, the pictures and the data are more important and represent more work than the OS and the Apps do. However, I absolutely cannot afford to lose my email.

How do you backup your data files? Is it as simple as drag and drop onto your backup drive?

I just back up my data files , 2nd hdd, to usb external drive using Syncback.
    Free version is good enough for me. http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

I do a folder to folder and let the program do the updating that is needed.

And when I do a new back up for the kids, that is about 650 GB, so it takes a while even with USG 3.0.
    6 to 8 hours.

Thread Information