[RESOLVED] Installing a network printer, driver issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing a network printer, driver issue

Resolved [RESOLVED] Installing a network printer, driver issue

I installed a Canon MX492 inkjet printer and connected it to the wifi. I installed the software on my wife's computer. and can print things from her computer just fine. My computer can see the printer on the network, but when I go to "install" it on Control Panel of my computer so that I can print to it I get a message that "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver."

I don't want to do the whole installation on my computer, because it installs all sorts of programs that makes cards, calendars and catalogs pictures, which I don't want.

So, looking just for drivers, Canon seems to have XPS Printer Driver Ver. 5.85, 13.15 MB, and MP Drivers Ver. 1.02, 32.30 MB. Don't know which it would be, and since Control Panel only says it can't find drivers, where would I put the drivers so that Control Panel can find them?

MX490 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02 (Windows) 01/22/16 32.30 MB
    (Standard) This is a driver that will provide full functionality for your selected model. It also allows you to set-up your printer for printing and scanning wirelessly. For an enhanced user experience we also recommend installing My Image Garden software. A version of this standard driver will have been included on the CD provided with your original product.
    According to the Canon site, the MP drivers would be the one. The XPS driver says optional.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...s-inkjet/mx492

Thanks. I missed clicking on it for the additional. Looks, though, like that is going to install all the bloat that went on my wife's computer. Oh well, I can then uninstall some of it in Control Panel afterward. I am coming to truely hate Canon with a passion. Installing this printer has taken me all afternoon with many missteps. Instructions are abysmal.

Okay, actually not even any bloat. Now, since you guys do such good work, how do I get our iPads to print?

I don't use Apple products, but this was on the Canon support site:
    http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/...X490%20iOS.pdf

Hmm. That link is giving me an "access denied" message. What heading was it under? I'll cruise around and see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Heffner View Post
    ... how do I get our iPads to print?
    Link: Apple

If applicable,
    Remember to set a static IP for the printer in your wireless router and printer.
    Last edited by Shinma; August 6th, 2016 at 01:45 AM.
    Cheers.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...s-inkjet/mx492

On the support site, scroll down to Wi-Fi Printing and click on the "Wireless Setup on iOS Devices (iPad, iPhone)" link

For some reason, the forum doesn't like when I copy/paste the link.

Thanks for the help. I now have the ability to print from both computers and the iPads. You folks are the best.

Thread Information