[RESOLVED] Upgrade from win7

Thread: [RESOLVED] Upgrade from win7

Resolved [RESOLVED] Upgrade from win7

Windows7 Home Premium 64bit,SP1,iNTEL cORE I5-2450m CPU@ 2.50gHZ,8.0gb Ram,Intel HD Graphics family,1 Terabyte HD.SKY broadband.
    Can anyone tell me how to set up the partition at the start of a clean install.Can I just set up the 1 terabyte in the unallocated space or do I need to do 2 partitions and how do I do this,does there need to be a primary or system partition
    involved and how is this done.Need instructions on this,thanks

Sorry for not jumping in on this but there is information missing from the question and I don't want to either mislead or give wrong info on a partitioning question.

First, it is my understanding that any upgrade to Windows 10 must be installed as an upgrade to the existing version first for Windows 10 to be properly registered for your computer. Anyone please correct me (or add info) if I am wrong about that.

Second. Under normal circumstances (I.E. using the entire disk with Windows 10 as the only OS) you would allow the Windows install program to "do it's thing". However things like existing multiple partitions or a Dell service partition you want to keep, etc, would change that.

If there is no partition on the drive, the windows 10 installer will create the 2 required partitions. Also, there is no need to do an upgrade, when windows 10, ask you for your windows key, just type your windows 7 key and windows 10 will be properly activated.

I see you are correct, glussier.

Performing a clean install of Windows 10 - new information
    ....Microsoft has finally fixed one of the most annoying parts of Windows 10: the activation. When it first launched, if upgraders wanted a clean install of Windows 10 they had to upgrade their existing PC first and then clean install. As of now, the Windows 10 installation wizard recognises Windows 7 and Windows 8 licence keys, automatically upgrading them to Windows 10....

I have now done the clean install and everything is going fine thanks for for all input

You are welcome.

Glad it went well.

Thread Information