[RESOLVED] USB port problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB port problems

Resolved [RESOLVED] USB port problems

I have a HP desktop computer that has all of its USB ports non functional. Therefore I am unable to use the keyboard or mouse. I have rebooted several times but it never helps. Any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Ron

What is the exact model number? If there are PS/2 ports, did you try a PS/2 keyboard?

I'm guessing you already tried getting into the BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    What is the exact model number? If there are PS/2 ports, did you try a PS/2 keyboard?

I'm guessing you already tried getting into the BIOS?
    No PS/2 ports at all. Right now I really miss that. Unable to get in the BIOS without the keyboard.

Would it be possible to take hard drive out and put in enclosure and then hook it up to another computer so I can view system?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Would it be possible to take hard drive out and put in enclosure and then hook it up to another computer so I can view system?
    You would be able to view the files but it wouldn't let you boot to the operating system.

And you still haven't said which computer this is. Brand name (model number) or home built (we'd need the motherboard model).

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    You would be able to view the files but it wouldn't let you boot to the operating system.

And you still haven't said which computer this is. Brand name (model number) or home built (we'd need the motherboard model).
    This is a HP 110-210 model running Windows 8.1

You can try removing the cmos battery or look for a jumper to reset the BIOS settings on the motherboard. It's possible that the USB ports got disabled.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I looked up the specs on this computer and it said it had a 65W power supply. Surely that can't be right, can it?

From this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04077792

Total wattage: 65 W
    Output voltage: 19.5 V
    Output amps: 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You can try removing the cmos battery or look for a jumper to reset the BIOS settings on the motherboard. It's possible that the USB ports got disabled.
    I did the CMOS battery removal and it did give me lights on both the USB mouse and USB keyboard. When the computer booted it came up with a screen that showed the processor type processor speed L1/L2 cache size memory size and BIOS revison. It also said time and date not set. Near the bottom of the screen was the option F:1 BOOT highlighted and across from it on the right was Diagnostics but not highlighted. The keyboard would only let me do the F!: BOOT and when it booted the lights on both the keyboard and mouse went off and became inoperative. I only had the battery out of the computer for 30 seconds . Was that long enough for a hard reset?

If the time and date are no longer set, then that should have been enough time. I usually wait for a few minutes.

F10 should be the key to get into the BIOS settings. Try that and see if you can get in. Make sure that settings like USB or Legacy USB keyboard are enabled.

Sorry it took so long to get back but I have been working my real job the past week. I did do the CMOS battery removal once more and let it stay out of computer longer which after a reboot enabled me to enter BIOS. I entered BIOS and checked all USB ports and they were enabled. Not taking any chances I set computer to default settings. All appears to be fine now. Thanks to all who gave help on this.

Cool. You can go to the top of the first post and click:

Thread Information