3 TB External Seagate Dr only formats to 465 gb

Thread: 3 TB External Seagate Dr only formats to 465 gb

3 TB External Seagate Dr only formats to 465 gb

I have a Gigabyte P55 USB3.0 mobo, using Win 7 64 Home Edition, 8gigs RAM, Realtek Vid Card
    Two internal 1 TB HDs, a WD and a Seagate. Also running a couple of USB external HDs, one of them a 1tb, the other a 500gb. I did a BIOS update.

As the title explains, I just bought a Seagate 3 TB USB 3 HD. First thing I did was plug it in and a Format window popped up. It specified default capacity of 465 gb and offered no other options. I've tried a few moves in Disk Management but don't know enough to take a risk. I'm sure you've seen this before.

Thanks

Art
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

I just bought a Seagate 3 TB USB 3 HD. First thing I did was plug it in and a Format window popped up.
    That's strange because it should have arrived pre-formatted. What is the exact model number? What File System did you choose, FAT32, exFAT, or NTFS?

If you just bought the drive, I'd probably exchange it. The drive should have been ready to go out of the box.

I took it back. What's wrong with me? Never buy low-end storage media, eeeedeeoat! Tomorrow I'll try something a little more sleek.
    Art
    www.artsdigitalphoto.com

The external drive should be pre-formatted, unless you are building your own with an enclosure. You can look up the specs, but most will be using NTFS.

Thread Information