Need new Router - Current Belkin probably crapped out.

Thread: Need new Router - Current Belkin probably crapped out.

Need new Router - Current Belkin probably crapped out.

See this thread for a bit more info -

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-Network-Cable

Can anyone recommend a Router in the roughly $50 to $75 range. My old Belkin 450 had Wi-Fi, and while I don't necessarily need that, most routers today have it as a feature.

I can get a Belkin 600 for about $60.

But my current Router lasted me only 4 years nearly to the day. I would hope the next one would last longer.

Any suggestions for good Routers in that price range? Are some more reliable than others?

I have one LAN line from my computer to the Router which are a couple of feet apart. The other LAN Line goes to my Roku box for Netflix streaming.

I have a new BluRay (Sony 5500, $52 on sale at Walmart) that has wireless Networking as well as wired. I'm not sure if should use the wireless aspect or to use the Roku cable. The BluRay is within site of the Router, about 25 feet straight line distance. So, I don't need a super wireless router.

The problems with accessing Netflix through the BluRay is that the disc is spinning even though I'm not using it.

So, all that chatter aside, I'm open to recommendations for New Routers in the $50 to $75 price range.

Thoughts?

Steve/boyblue
    Last edited by boyblue; April 1st, 2016 at 07:36 PM.

Just so we are clear, if I connect the computer LAN directly to the DSL modem, I can get on the Internet, so the problem is definitely with the Belkin Router (N450 BD).

Steve/boyblue

For that price range, I'd say the TP-Link Archer C7
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...c7-v2-reviewed

Not a fan of Belkins to begin with. I'm guessing you mean a N600 class router. The C7 is an AC1750 class router. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    For that price range, I'd say the TP-Link Archer C7
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...c7-v2-reviewed

Not a fan of Belkins to begin with. I'm guessing you mean a N600 class router. The C7 is an AC1750 class router. Big difference.

WOW! That Router is only $70? Nice, but I think way more than I need, but I will certainly keep it in mind. Gigabit Router too. I'd like to be closer to $50, but the TP-Link looks pretty impressive.

My wireless needs are currently very low, virtually none, but most Routers are going to have that feature.

One thing I did like about the Belkin is that it had Smart Routing. Instead of evenly multiplexing through all the channels, it gave priority to the most active channels. I only used two channels, so the other two were virtually shut down.

This is the Router I was considering as a replacement -

Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual Band N+ Router ($59 in the store) -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-N60...outer/16451554

Though I'm not especially enamored with Belkin. It was just cheap and available.

This is the Router I currently have - Belkin N450 ($49) -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-N45...outer/17218872

Do you have a preference for Brand - Linksys, Trend-Net, TP-Link, D-Link? Probably not Belkin?

Is the TP-LINK a brand you prefer, or was that just a good deal on a Router?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve/boyblue

One thing I did like about the Belkin is that it had Smart Routing. Instead of evenly multiplexing through all the channels, it gave priority to the most active channels. I only used two channels, so the other two were virtually shut down.
    I'm not familiar with this "Smart Routing" as they call it, and I don't see it listed in the manual.
    If you're talking about Wifi channels, most routers have an "auto" setting. It depends if you mean 2.4 or 5GHz channels. For 2.4, there are only 3 non-overlapping channels.
    I prefer to do a site survey to see which channels the neighbors are using, and then I set the router to the least used channel to decrease interference.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

I prefer Netgear, but the model I use (R7000) is much more expensive than the TP-Link. For the price, the C7 is a solid router, plus it's gigabit and 802.11ac.

I'd go Netgear, the D-Link/TP-Link tied for second, then Linksys and Belkin. I haven't dealt with Trend-net routers before. Everyone has a different opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post

I'd go Netgear, the D-Link/TP-Link tied for second, then Linksys and Belkin. I haven't dealt with Trend-net routers before. Everyone has a different opinion, though.
    Picked up a Linksys N600 router ($69). I could have gotten a better one if I had ordered it, but I wanted my Internet up and running.

The Linksys N600 is not the latest and greatest technology, but my needs are limited. It is actually more than I need. Streaming Netflix over wireless with no problem.

From what I've gather, lots of people are not very keen on Belkin.

Thanks for all your effort.

Steve/boyblue

Thread Information