DSL WAN Cable - Any difference from standard Network Cable?

Thread: DSL WAN Cable - Any difference from standard Network Cable?

DSL WAN Cable - Any difference from standard Network Cable?

Between my DSL Modem and my Router is a network-type cable with yellow ends that is called a WAN Cable.

Is that just a standard network (cat5/cat6) cable, or is it wired differently. Can I substitute a section of common network cable or do I specifically need a WAN Cable?

I have a Belkin 450 Router that is flashing Orange. I think it has bit the dust after 4 years, almost to the day. But it could be the cable between the router and the modem. I have sections of common network cable (that coincidentally happens to be yellow), and I tried that cable and it seem to make the problem worse. Though it is hard to be worse than not working.

So, I'm wondering if the WAN cable is in anyway unique?

Sorry for the rookie question.

Steve/boyblue
    Last edited by boyblue; April 1st, 2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: correction, addition

Is that just a standard network (cat5/cat6) cable, or is it wired differently.
    There is no such thing as a "WAN" cable. It is a standard Ethernet cable. If anything, it is just connected to the WAN port of your router.
    You'd want to use a CAT5e or 6 cable for best performance.

But it could be the cable between the router and the modem.
    Possible, but doubtful. You can try resetting the router to factory settings.

Please verify the model number. "Belkin 450" is not the actual model number. It should be more like F9K1105.

Powered the Router off - no luck.

Powered it off for 24 hours - still no luck.

Reset the Router - no luck.

The light is constantly flashing Orange. Normally that light is Blue if every thing is OK.

I can get on the Internet with a direct connect between the Computer Network Card, and the DSL Modem.

The Belkin is the Belkin N450 DB (Dual Band, 150+300Mbps) 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wireless.

The Part# is F9K1105 if that is what you are looking for.

Steve/boyblue

F9K1105 is the model, but there are 3 versions.

Reset the Router - no luck.
    In the V3 manual, it says to hold down the Reset button for 5 seconds to restore to factory settings. Is that what you did?

If that doesn't work, there's a good chance that it just bit the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    F9K1105 is the model, but there are 3 versions.

In the V3 manual, it says to hold down the Reset button for 5 seconds to restore to factory settings. Is that what you did?

If that doesn't work, there's a good chance that it just bit the dust.
    F9K1105v1

Remember, it is 4 years old.

The bottom of the box says - 12115GE100797 Version 1.023

I think it is probably given up the ghost. I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative Router in the $50 to $75 Range.

I will try to press and hold the RESET button, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Thanks for you assistance.

Steve/boyblue

4 years old doesn't necessarily mean it is a v1. That's why you'd need to actually check.
    For example, the Linksys WRT54G came out way before that and they have 8 different versions now.

In any case, it doesn't sound like the Belkin is going to revive.

Picked up a LInksys N600 ($69). That was more than I had before, and actually more than I need. I could have gotten a better one if I was willing to wait a week, but wanted my system up and running. Linksys installed in a snap, not the slightest hitch. Though only moderately satisifed with the user interface. Still, I'm up and running.

Thanks for the help.

Steve/boyblue

Thread Information