Boots then freezes

Thread: Boots then freezes

Boots then freezes

Running Win 8.1. Boots fine, gets desktop, allows access to internet, icons, etc., for about five minutes or so. Then freezes. Time circle continues to rotate when attempting to open an icon, but never stops to allow access to the desktop items. Heat within parameter; no viruses detected; power remains operating; no error messages. On reboot, same problem, and freeze comes at about the same time. Thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

It sounds like something is hogging CPU cycles. What does Task Manager show? Also, before it locks up, check Event Viewer for any problems.

Does the same thing happen when you boot into Safe Mode? Have you scanned for malware?

Everything looks good. CPU cycles are ok. No malware. No heat. Just seems to boot to the same spot (maybe hard drive?), allows for access for about the same amount of time. AND, then locks up. It's running an SSD drive, so I don't know if some cells got knocked around, and it can't correct itself. Figure I'll try a re-install. Seems lazy!! Jim S.
    Jim S.

Did you look at the Event Viewer logs? There may be Services that have a Delayed Start.

If you suspect the SSD, run the manufacturer's diags.

Did you try Safe Mode like jdc2000 suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you look at the Event Viewer logs? There may be Services that have a Delayed Start.

If you suspect the SSD, run the manufacturer's diags.

Did you try Safe Mode like jdc2000 suggested?
    Finally able to get ahead of the freeze, and confusion of getting SAFE in 8.1. Seems to work fine, stable in SAFE mode. Neighbor doesn't remember when the problem started, so I'm at odds for a good Restore Point. Probably will do a Recovery. He doesn't need anything to be saved. Thanks to all. Jim S. PS: I wish Microsoft would have left the simple entry into SAFE mode alone, and allowed use of the F8 key. Was so helpful, rather than dancing through several screens, and hoping that the system would remain stable enough to get to SAFE mode. j
    Jim S.

Thread Information