Upgrade Yes? No?

Thread: Upgrade Yes? No?

Upgrade Yes? No?

I keep getting the popups from Win 10 that I should upgrade and reasons why. I have Win7/64 bit and I'm happy happy. So I come here asking, is it worth it to upgrade to Win10?
    Will Win 10 automatically update my drivers for the printer, the sound card, monitor, etc. etc. or do I have to get the updates?

Would it be better (cheaper) to just get a new desktop box with Win10 installed and then transfer the data files over?

I have Win7/64 bit and I'm happy happy.
    Me too. I won't fix what isn't broken. At some point in the future when Windows 7 is no longer supported, particularly for security updates, I will make a choice to upgrade to a new operating system. It may or may not be Windows 10 but at this point in time I doubt it will be because of the lack of control of non essential updates which you allude to in your question.. hardware driver updates and other non-essential software is installed whether you want it/them or not.

My choice then will be to perhaps stop using Windows completely and dive into whatever Linux OS that appeals to me that might be available at that time.

End of extended support for Win 7 is January 14, 2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I'll wait it out until I have to upgrade.

I am also sticking with Windows 7 until support for it ends. At that time, if Microsoft has finally gotten their act together, I may downgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise (not free), otherwise, it will be Linux for me.

If you want to get rid of the nags, there are some posts here on how to do it. There are some registry entries you can add that will stop the nags. If you want to stop the telemetry, you need to remove some updates also, and/or install GWX Control Panel.

GWX Control Panel has a stand alone that does not install, but does the job nicely.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...n-from-Taskbar
    it even puts in the Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1
    M$ talks about.

The GWX Control Panel is really nice.
    I have 7 and 8.1 versions that I want to keep 10 off of. I guess I had been doing a pretty good job of keeping up on how to keep 10 off of them. I already had auto update turned off and just update once a month. I have a list of offending KBs and double check that against the new updates. The one thing GWX Control Panel found on both 7 and 8.1 was "Allow Upgrades". I like having a backup tool even though I do try to stay up on the "forced 10 upgrade" issue.

I really dislike the forced auto updates in Windows 10. I have 10 on a Surface 3. Just last night I had the issue of failed update and had no mouse on startup. I could still use the touch screen. A pop up told me to click for more info but all that happened was that I was taken to the Windows Update screen, no info. I clicked "check for updates" and there was a fairly large one of completely unknown content. After that was downloaded and installed then rebooted I had my mouse back. My camera and microphone were also turned on. I took care of all that before I did what I had started Windows 10 for, accessing my smart phone through the Windows only software to save photos.

I check for updates every time I start Windows 10 and a couple times I have been caught when, I guess, there are updates after I have checked and before I shut down that don't get downloaded correctly. After any big update I take another look at my privacy settings. It's kinda like having an untrustworthy family member and you need to check your silverware, electronics, and wallet after they have left, even though you carefully watched them walk out the door.

Win 10 update can be a tad slow [ a pita for sure] right after booting up.
    The Win 10 BETAs do the same darn thing.

I have two Win 10 Enterprise computers. One is a test machine and the other sees daily use. I won't be installing 10 on any of the other six PC's I regularly use anytime soon though. Even with 10 Enterprise it attempts installing unwanted software every day, I finally managed to solve that with much work on my daily use machine but the test 10 rig gets the OS updates to see what they do so all the unwanted crap always shows up. It's extremely annoying to have to keep removing all that Zune, Xbox and other garbage that doesn't belong on a work computer under any circumstances. I'd fire anybody on the spot I caught playing games on my company's time.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Zune is not even supported anymore by Microsoft, so, how does-it come pre-installed on your version of windows 10 Enterprise?

Thread Information