Add-on video card help

Thread: Add-on video card help

Question Add-on video card help

Hi all. I got my hands on a HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF (Core i3 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM). This PC is about 4 years old but my current PC is about 7(+) years old. The specs on this HP are a good bit better and I'd really like to find a graphics card that'd work in it and replace my old PC with this less old PC. It does have a PCIe x16 slot and the case is half height so it'd have to be a low profile card. The video card in my current PC is a Radeon HD 6600 with 1 or 2 GB RAM (can't remember the type - GDDR something or other maybe).

A huge problem with the HP is that it has the stock power supply, a 240W one. I need to find either a video card that's as good or better than my current one, that I can get low profile, that doesn't require external power, and that will work with this 240W power supply, or I need to find a replacement power supply that'll fit in this HP case that offers more power.

I really don't want to go the route of cannibalizing parts from the HP (the processor and the RAM specifically) because I'm not interested in building a PC, but I will if it just won't be possible to get my hands on a video card that will fit in the HP, work with the 240W power supply, and provide at least a little bit better graphics than the Radeon I'm currently using.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Even the Radeon 6600 required a PSU of 350W, so finding a faster, low profile card that runs on 240W is doubtful. After a quick look on Newegg, I didn't see anything lower than 300W, even for slower cards.

What are you trying to do with the video? Gaming?

The PSU is proprietary, so you won't find any upgrades either.
    Attachment 13573

Yeah, my current PC is a home built system that's over 7 years old. It has a 500 or 600 watt psu in it and that Radeon card as well. It's okay for gaming, older games of course. I was hoping to be able to use this HP with an add-on card to replace my older rig, incluidng for gaming. If I have to go the cannibalizing route I will. I was just hoping to not have to.

Thread Information