Major Fall Update To Windows 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Fall Update To Windows 10

Major Fall Update To Windows 10

I happened to see the story on Slashdot.

The Windows 10 that I use is on a Surface 3 (not PRO) and is a secondary device.

I am already aware that I need to check for updates every time I start the system as that is the only way to know if the always on always download and install Windows Updates is doing something when I turn on the computer for a short time. The user has almost no control on how this works. AFAIC, just because some people neither know or care what is going on is no reason to not allow anyone that does care to be able to control their computer.

So in this case, I was aware of the complete Windows upgrade and did not start my Surface 3 until I had time to see what it did and how long it took. Upon checking for updates the download for the complete Windows upgrade started downloading. That did not take too long with a fast internet connection. A slower connection could take many hours. Then there is "preparing updates". This took quite a while, sitting at about 32% for a long time with no further info. Then close to an hour for the actual upgrade, restarting 3 times. It is completely beyond me why Microsoft thinks people will be cool with this when they just want to check their email before work.

So on the final restart Windows appears to be working fine. I am 100% sure that I need to revisit any security settings I changed as Microsoft's message to anyone that wants to in any way control their own computer is "F*** YOU!".

As a starter I know that even though I have no interest in "One Drive", that I have no account for "One Drive", and that I disabled everything I could for "One Drive" after my original Windows 10 install, that I was informed "One Drive" was updated and installed.

So I am interested.
    How many of you knew about the major upgrade before if hit your PC.
    For those that were not aware of it, did it go well or did you have issues?

EDIT: I meant to mention that I also need to investigate making a new backup as this new complete Windows update is now the default and probably needs cleanup after the backup.
    Last edited by 2damncommon; November 14th, 2015 at 06:19 PM.

This update fails on my laptop. Says it will try again later. There were some updates for my win 10 mobile that wrecked messages. Had to go back to 8.1 then back to mobile win 10 preview to get the updated app. Nvidia released some more crap drivers for my video card on my pc which I didn't notice, so they got automatically installed providing me with the black screen of death again. wushowhide to the rescue again. I do use OneDrive since I have a 365 subscription which gives us all a TB of storage.

My PC was updated to this fall "Threshold 2" update.

I knew it was coming, so I was expecting it. I checked for updates and let it do it's thing. There were apparently a whole slew of updates, mostly for my Office Pro 2013 first, then the Threshold update came in next.

I had previously removed a bunch of Win 10 apps already (using PowerShell), but I did not expect that the update would reinstall all those apps back - all the metro crap like "People", "Mail", "Calendar" (I use Outlook for all that), "Xbox", "Camera", "Sports", "Music", "Maps", yada yada yada...

The only apps of those types that I do keep is Weather and Solitaire. I even added Minesweeper, just because that is still fun to play sometimes.

Strangely, One Drive did not come back. Which I'm happy about.

I've read of some people losing some of their third party apps like CPU-Z and even big programs like Photoshop CS. There's a whole thread over at Reedit about those who lost, but at least were able to just reinstall their programs. After the update, the notification screen would actually list the programs that were removed. No explanation about why, though.

Luckily, I didn't experience that.

The only thing that I looked forward to in the update was the ability to assign a color to the title bars without using the hack I found online to do it previously. All the other big changes did nothing for me as I don't use either the Edge browser or Cortana (she's pretty much shut down - I don't do voice on my PC, I don't even have a mic attached to it).

Most of my original settings for tracking stayed put (absolutely everything "off" - again, surprised they all stayed that way). I only had to turn off all background stuff for all the reinstalled metro apps. That was before I went through and uninstalled them all over again.

My default browser was changed from Firefox to Edge.

Luckily when I start Firefox I am asked if I want Firefox to be my default browser. When I click "Yes", Firefox is not made my default browser. Instead I am taken to the "Choose Default Apps" screen. This is quite an improvement from the way it used to work as Edge stays the default until I manually configure default apps. Surprise.

Luckily when I start Firefox I am asked if I want Firefox to be my default browser. When I click "Yes", Firefox is not made my default browser. Instead I am taken to the "Choose Default Apps" screen. This is quite an improvement from the way it used to work as Edge stays the default until I manually configure default apps. Surprise.
    That is the default action with Win 10.

I had difficulties to unstall this update, so one thing after the other:

1) I have a laptop and a desktop PC.
    2) the update turned up only three days after its release on my laptop and I installed it immediately.
    3) For the desktop it never turned, so I went to the download site (creation tool) down loaded it and installed.
    4) In both cases, the installation was well over one hour, ab bit much for my taste.
    5) Ich check some of the new/improved features. I was dissatisfied. Es especially the setting of colors was said to be better. Nothing of that kind. I wish they bring the individual option like in pre W 8 Windows.
    6) The three new apps. Skype video, Phone, and Messaging are not working at all. When MS install new apps for whatever reason I can expect them to work right from the beginning w/o any problem.
    With Skype video in this case I got Oops! this could not be dumber bu8t I guess this is typical for MS. Then it says: Not being available try again later. Then there is this mysterious error code 0xA0000001, and I am ask to search for a solution. How dumb is that? I have Skype desktop installed and I like it. The new apps are useless for me.

I guess there will be more stuff turning up that is not working alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    That is the default action with Win 10.
    You're right and I think I griped about it previously.
    It's sorta like ordering a hamburger with no onions, being served a hamburger with onions, and when you mention it the guy takes off the top bun and looks at you like "so go ahead".

I went through the security settings and they seemed untouched. Looks like the changes were only in resetting default applications and reinstalling OneDrive. I made desired changes to default programs and removed OneDrive-again.

Also, the changes I made to the "hosts" file were still there as well.
    Last edited by 2damncommon; November 18th, 2015 at 05:36 PM.

Just a few things are messed with, not all of them.

The update seems fine after a week so I cleaned up just like I did after the update from 8.1 to 10.

First I created a recovery drive. This is a pretty long process.

Then I did the disk cleanup as Train posted a while back.

The Disk Cleanup Tool said it was cleaning 24.2GB of Previous Windows Install and 3.83GB of Temporary Windows Installation Files. File Explorer said 63.5GB free before I started and 80.2 free after. That's 16.7. Odd the numbers are not even close.

That has happened to me a few times. ODD, yep !

I write it off as a windows thing and enjoy the free space.

As of today, Microsoft has removed the update.

Microsoft yanks latest Windows 10 release from its download server:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...tag=TRE17cfd61

Explains what is not happening. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    As of today, Microsoft has removed the update.

Microsoft yanks latest Windows 10 release from its download server:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...tag=TRE17cfd61
    To be clear, from articles like the one you linked, my understanding at least is that the actual update has not been pulled but rather installation media of the new version.

Nothing installed when I tried to update my 2 Win 10 computers.

At this point, I don't think anyone really knows exactly what Microsoft has pulled, or will pull. As with any beta software, it can change daily.

Thread Information