Plugged in USB SSD, froze computer, turned off... now boot drive failure

Thread: Plugged in USB SSD, froze computer, turned off... now boot drive failure

Plugged in USB SSD, froze computer, turned off... now boot drive failure

The computer is Win XP and seemed to run fine.

I was trying to plug in a stupid Kingston SSD to back up some files. Then it bogged the computer down and I thought it froze, so I simply held the power down to shut down and reboot.

After that, now I get the error DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I tried to run chkdsk from the windows CD but it said something about a failure and could not even begin running. I ran Ultimate boot cd and tried seatools diagnostic (it's not a seagate drive but I thought this was a good tool?) and it didn't even say a hard drive was present -- something like that.

So damn, I tried to plug in the HDD to another computer, Win 8 and it doesn't even show up in disk management.

I'm not sure what to do, the whole thing seems weird from just shutting it down while it seemed to run fine!

Thank you for the help.

UPDATE:
    On the Win8 computer that works I went into the start up and it does seem to "see" the hard drive there. But not when I'm in Windows, but I dunno what to do there.
    Attachment 13371
    Last edited by webmaster111; August 8th, 2015 at 10:40 PM.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

I should point out I did not set the drive to slave, but I'm not sure I need to. But it's an older drive and has the jumper plugs, but no "plug" on any of them. It's connected via a red SATA cable though.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

SATA drives don't have jumpers for master/slave.

You should try using the Samsung diags for Samsung drives. Did you try running Seatools on the Win8 system with the Samsung drive in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    SATA drives don't have jumpers for master/slave.

You should try using the Samsung diags for Samsung drives. Did you try running Seatools on the Win8 system with the Samsung drive in it?
    1) No, I wasnt sure what the drive was until I took it out. Frankly, I simply recalled the name of the seatools as being "good" so I could have just done something dumb for all I know but only using that.

2) no I did not... would there be any harm to running the UBCD on the win8 computer? To be sure, that computer is important to me so I can't afford to mess it up if that's a risk.

Thank you.

2) no I did not... would there be any harm to running the UBCD on the win8 computer? To be sure, that computer is important to me so I can't afford to mess it up if that's a risk.
    It wouldn't harm your system just by running Seatools.

After a few restarts, the other computer sees the HDD now... go figure.

Maybe the windows updates had something to do with it? I haven't used the win8 computer in months.

Thread Information