[RESOLVED] Restoring image

Thread: [RESOLVED] Restoring image

Resolved [RESOLVED] Restoring image

I hope this is the right forum.
    A friend brought this to my attention; When trying to restore an image from his external drive to a new formatted HDD, the "restore disc" does not see the HDD installed in the computer. This he has tried on Windows Copy&Restore and Macrium (free ver.). Replacing the new HD with the corrupt original HD worked fine. He also installed the "image" disc, to see if that would open, no luck.

So, in other words an image created on an external HDD cannot be inserted to use as the original OS. I had read on other forums that a disc that created as an image could replace the original OS disc.

Hadn't tried it on my machine, but from what I can gather one needs a copy of Win7 on the drive to be restored to. Am I mistaken?

In order to use the computer you need to boot the computer with an Operating System, and then you'll need to run the software necessary to restore your backup image. Normally your backup software has an option to create this CD/DVD and/or USB flash drive that contains all of the necessary software.

Hadn't tried it on my machine, but from what I can gather one needs a copy of Win7 on the drive to be restored to. Am I mistaken?
    You don't need Win7 on the target drive.

You would need to boot from the Win7 DVD if you are using Windows Backup and Restore:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ge-backup.html
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html

For Macrium, you need to make a boot disc or flash drive:
    http://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50082.aspx

Hadn't tried it on my machine, but from what I can gather one needs a copy of Win7 on the drive to be restored to. Am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

SpywareDr, I did try on my machine and it does act the same as my friends. I had also used Win7 copy&restore, created a restore disc, but the problem is the same as with Macrium.

Midknyte, I had made a boot disc (to CD) when I originally downloaded Macrium, but as I mentioned to Doc, unless there is a copy of Windows7 on the target disc - it's a no-go, but I'll try again and let you know. Thanks to you both.

I did respond to your posts, but I don't know what happened. I'll try your suggestions and let you know. Thank to you both.

Midknyte, I had made a boot disc (to CD) when I originally downloaded Macrium, but as I mentioned to Doc, unless there is a copy of Windows7 on the target disc - it's a no-go, but I'll try again and let you know. Thanks to you both.
    That doesn't make sense. If you are restoring the image onto the hard drive, it would overwrite anything on it.

Thanks for the response guys, but I'm not getting my thought across to you.

As I had mentioned - on another forum, if I recall, someone had created an image to an external drive, later, when the original OS hard drive crashed, they had inserted the created image its stead and the system came up as before, or if I recall, a new HDD was inserted and the image was copied to it.

That's what my fried and I were trying to duplicate, but with no luck - so, I'll just use Macrium as I have been. Thanks again to you both for time and suggestions.

What software did you use to create the system image that you are having problems restoring? Most imaging software has a process for restoring an image to a new hard drive that has no operating system installed. Imaging software would not be much use if it could not do that. The only system image that you might run into trouble with is one created by Microsoft's software. Without information on which imaging software you used, we can't provide any specific assistance on restoring it.

if I recall, a new HDD was inserted and the image was copied to it.
    That's normally how it would work. You install a new hard drive, boot to your recovery disc (ex. Macrium), and then restore your image file onto the hard drive.

Okay, jdc2000 and Midknyte, I'll try one more time (in a couple of days).
    I use Macrium free ver. 5.3 (32 bit).

I remove the OS hard drive, insert a clean formatted HD, then turn on the VanTec ext. (containing the image). Insert a CD that holds the Macrium Restore Disc, the disc is read in the usual manner, but when the page opens - I do not see the "Restore Image" on the right side, close to the top as it normally shows if there is a Windows7 on the HD.

Maybe I need the paid version, no one has mentioned that.

Did you create the Linux or WinPE boot disc? Is the Vantec drive detected at all?

http://ask-leo.com/macrium_reflect_6..._an_image.html
    http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

Sorry, I'm not a Macrium user. I use Acronis True Image for my backups.

You may have to 'explore' within Macrium to find the attached external hard drive with the backup image on it.

Thread Information