Main fan on the disks not turning
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Main fan on the disks not turning

Main fan on the disks not turning

Obviously I have to check the connections and make sure the shaft isn't seized up - anything else? Is there a fuse?

Thanks - rev

Fan on disks? Do you mean a case fan? There are no fuses, but it's possible that the motherboard fan header is bad. You can try testing the fan on a different fan header. If the fan uses a molex connector, try a different molex connector from the power supply.

Yes, the case fan on the disks. I have a Thermaltake case but I can't even see where the fan wires attach to the mobo. What's a molex connector? Mobo is Asus P6T.

Ok. So you mean a case fan on the front of the case.

Molex connectors are 4 pin connectors that come straight off the PSU.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

Yes, it's about 5" wide and cools all 5 terabytes in 4 disks (when it's working).

I might have dislodged a cable or it might have been like that for some time, don't know. End result, one disk is too hot (53) degrees C, the others are fine.

Hard Disk Sentinel software reports 762 weak sectors so I'll probably have to move all the data to a new disk. Right now, I'm keeping the temp from rising with my room air conditioning.

5" would be a 120mm fan.

Depending on the size of your case, you might want to space the drives out. Like every other slot or at least one open slot in the middle.

It's a huge case with a water cooling option, comes knee high. I'm sure the cooling would be fine if the fan was working, without it the disks are not getting hotter because I'm keeping the room cold. The exhaust fans (2) are probably creating some air flow.

Could it be that the main chassis fan that cools the disks isn't running because it doesn't need to be?

My disks are at 44, 43, 42, 41 and 37 degrees.

Doubtful. Test that fan on another motherboard header and test a known good fan on the current motherboard header. That way you'll know if it's the fan or the motherboard.

Doesn't it matter about the voltage on the different headers?

Amps is the worry. Not enough usually. and why I use these molex to fan adapters

Attachment 13155

Attachment 13157

I'm swamped with work right now so I'm using room AC to keep the disks cool, I'll get on it asap and post back. Maybe I have one of those adapters in my spare parts bag. If I have one, will it be safe to plug it in without worrying about the power requirements?

Yes, that is all I do.

I discovered that there is no connector on the header for the chassis fan so that's my answer. If the chassis fan is the one just behind the front cover, the one cooling the disks, which one is the Power Fan? The front fan for the disks is the biggest fan in the box.

I discovered that there is no connector on the header for the chassis fan so that's my answer.
    So you mean the fan wasn't even connected? It doesn't really matter which fan header you use. That's more for monitoring. The main thing would be to get power to the fan.

Thread Information