[RESOLVED] Win 7 ult installation hangs on 'Starting Windows'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 7 ult installation hangs on 'Starting Windows'

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win 7 ult installation hangs on 'Starting Windows'

I get past 'Windows is Loading Files' then I get Starting Windows and nothing happens. This thread claims the power supply is the problem but that seems unlikely to me. Anyone got any suggestions?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20...windows-screen

Thanks - rev

Can we assume that this another one of your boat anchors that you are trying to repair? If so, a power supply problem could indeed be the issue, since when the correct drivers are loaded more power may be needed to actually run a device.

However, a bad CD/DVD or bad optical drive, or some funky hardware item that Windows 7 doesn't like could also be a problem. Post a detailed list of the hardware you are trying to install Windows 7 on (full makes and models of the components), and we can see if it might be a driver issue.

Unable to read the dvd, had finger prints on the dvd cause that to happen, so make sure it is clean.
    Hdd going bad or flaky ram can cause that to happen.

jdc:
    >Can we assume that this another one of your boat anchors
    Yes, exactly. It's an old machine with a 1.5 ghtz Celleron processor. I don't know details of all the hardware but it could well be a driver issue because I thought I saw a BSOD very briefly before it went into the default behavior, which is to reboot. The UDBC I have has a win xp interface and I can't remember how to change that default behavior such that you get a BSOD instead of a reboot. If you can tell me how that's done I can investigate the BSOD.

Train:
    I checked the DVD, no obvious problems. I used UDBC to check the mem and the disk, both fine.

BSOD Stop:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstr...utorestart.htm

http://lifehacker.com/keep-windows-b...ly-r-509456466

You can also use BlueScreenView to access the BSOD information on a different drive. If you pull the drive that you were trying to install on and put into a working machine as a slave, you can read the BSOD log files from it to find out what happenned.

Motherboard model number would help. Make sure to check for bad caps too.

JDC: Thanks, I'd forgotten that. I feel sure it's a driver issue (BSOD) because the disk came from a different machine!

I feel sure it's a driver issue (BSOD) because the disk came from a different machine!
    That would have been helpful to know initially. I wondered why Windows 7 Ultimate was being loaded onto a boat anchor.

You might be able to reboot into Safe Mode with Networking and download the correct drivers after the initial load.

Good idea, I'll give it a try.

People are very poor in the Mexican village where I live so the machines are often very old. I try to help them connect to the world, particularly for the sake of their children, hence all the boat anchors.

Then download the correct iso and make the dvds needed.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

Legal too. But you need the key on the computer or a new one.

I have CDBurner XP setup to where when i double click a >iso it opens ready to burn the iso to a blank dvd.

The links for Spanish were 404

HeiDoc.net:

Important Note February 2015

The download servers msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net, msft.digitalrivercontent.net and azcdn01.digitalrivercontent.net have been taken down, and all Windows OS downloads have been pulled from the Azure storage.
    Cheers.

New,
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Those links are now dead.

The option to make the machine produce a BSOD instead of rebooting when it encounters a system error, is disabled. So instead of bothering with a possible driver issue I decided to format the disk using the Format option in the explorer shell provided by UBCD. I get 'Windows cannot format the disk, close all open programs' etc bla bla. Why can't Windows format the disk and how can I format it another way?

Thread Information