Outlook window refuses to 'maximize'

Thread: Outlook window refuses to 'maximize'

Outlook window refuses to 'maximize'

Hi all,

I work remotely from home . . . I'm using Citrix on a company computer for network access to the government agency to which we're contracted. After connecting, I start Outlook to access my email on my government account.

Outlook starts up and its icon displays in the bottom tray. However, the actual Outlook window does not display when Outlook starts. When I click on the tray icon, the Outlook window still refuses to maximize and display. I know that Outlook is actually working, since the tiny window messages occasionally appear to announce the arrival of an email.

Why does the actual Outlook window refuse to maximize, and how can I resolve this?

(By the way, other apps, including other MS Office apps, work fine and do not do this).

Thanks in advance,
    - David G.
    Provo, UT - USA

I've seen something very similar to this when running two monitors.... If Outlook was dragged to the second monitor and that monitor isn't on - it does what you are describing.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

What version of Office and Windows are you running?
    Does your system or the remote system have multiple monitors?

You can try doing an ALT+TAB to select Outlook first (make it the active window)
    Then press Winkey+RightArrow (or LeftArrow) to snap Outlook to the side of the screen (press the arrow several times if there are multiple monitors)
    After that, you can reposition Outlook however you want

Thanks, gentlemen . . . I'm not actually using 2 monitors side-by-side, but the screen on the laptop is damaged and won't display anything but garbage, so I can't even look at anything there. So, I've been using a 22" LG monitor plugged into the VGA socket on the side of the laptop.

Anyway, I can move around and "land" on the Outlook icon when I do an ALT-Tab, but that still won't maximize the Outlook window. I've also tried a Restart, as well as a total cold shutdown and power-up -- nothing changes.

Things have worked fine before with no problems at all, so I don't know why the Outlook window won't maximize, or why it's only Outlook doing this. I've also seen this happen on my home desktop PC with various apps (once in a blue moon), but generally I've resolved it.

By the way, the laptop is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and Outlook 2007, with 8 GB RAM.
    Last edited by star-gazer777; February 13th, 2015 at 04:18 PM.

Anyway, I can move around and "land" on the Outlook icon when I do an ALT-Tab
    That's only half of what I told you to do. Did you press Winkey+RightArrow to snap it to the side of the screen?

Yes, Midknyte, I did that too as you instructed, with no result/change.

So you tried both left and right arrows multiple times? Hmm

And you're sure that the video output is only to the LG monitor and not the laptop?

No, I said the laptop screen is on, but it is cracked and only displays garbage. How can I disable the laptop video when I can't even access the Windows desktop?

That is the kind of info you should have posted in the beginning. It sounds more like a hardware issue than a software issue.

You didn't say the make/model of the laptop. Some have a key combination like Fn key + F8 that will toggle between monitor modes.

Are you expanding the desktop or not? If you only have one working monitor, you shouldn't use the expand desktop setting.

Did you at least look at the monitor positioning in Display - Screen Resolution? Then you would at least know if you have to press Winkey+Left or Right.

Thread Information