[RESOLVED] Keep Getting: "Request Entity Too Large" Errors!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Keep Getting: "Request Entity Too Large" Errors!

Resolved [RESOLVED] Keep Getting: "Request Entity Too Large" Errors!

Using:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    FF 31.2.0
    Avast Free
    SAS Professional
    Malwarebytes Professional

Lately, at least for the last 2 weeks I keep getting these "Request Entry Too Large" errors. It happens a lot if I click on a link on the web page or if I click on the print preview icon. This is what just a few of the errors look like:

Request Entity Too Large (413)

The requested resource does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

Bad Request (400)

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
    Cookie
    /n
    Apache Server at careers.foxnews.com Port 80

When clicking on printer preview icon on web page:
    Request Entity Too Large
    The requested resource
    /fn2/politics/2014/11/19/taxpayers-paid-8-epa-employees-1-million-to-do-nothing/format=print
    does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

I tried reloading the web pages with no results. I tried coming at the links I want to click from another direction by right clicking and telling it to open either in a tab or open it into another window. No matter what I try to do to click on a link this happens. Not all links are effected, just some links. Mainly the web site I spend the most time on is Fox News site. I occasionally go to Facebook and don't seem to have a problem getting around on that site. I tried closing out all my tabs and then clicking on a link that I am having a problem opening and I still get that error. It is driving me crazy. I don't know what is causing it so I can't fix when I don't know the cause. Can someone suggest something?
    Thanks in advance,
    Sheila

Train: I read the web site of the first link and was not sure of what I was reading. I am not that technical minded so it was not real clear to me what it was talking about. Then I clicked on the Google results that you posted and read dozens and dozens of other articles about this error. I thought if I kept reading then this error would start making more sense to me. But different people on different sites had this same problem--and with using different browsers--IE, FF, Chrome, etc. And they were not all trying to do the same things when they got this error. Mainly what I found was this error occurred more when people were trying to upload something or change something on their server--which was not my case. And different reasons were brought up for what they thought caused the error--corrupted cookies, cache needed emptying, history needed being cleared, and finally someone even posted that this was the problem and the solution in IE (wonder if it would apply to FF too?):

This error is caused by the browser settings in Internet Explorer.
    Solution

To resolve this error, follow these steps to verify Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are unchecked in the Internet Options window of Internet Explorer:

Open Internet Explorer.
    Click Tools > Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Under Settings, scroll to locate the Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 options.
    Verify Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are not checked. (You may not find these options in your Internet Explorer version. If you cannot find 1.1 and 1.2, verify Use TLS 1.0 is not checked.)

Click OK to close the window.
    Reboot your computer
    I thought of trying all the different solutions that have been suggested but the only one I really would hate to do is to clear out all my cookies because some of them I really need.

What do you think the main problem is that is causing my problem and what is the best way to correct the problem? Just keep in mind that I am not real technical minded so you have to explain some things in detail to me.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

It is after midnight here and I have the flu too. So I am going to bed now and will check back here when I get up in the AM and see if there are any more answers. Thank you for your help.
    Sheila
    Sheila

his error is caused by the browser settings in Internet Explorer.
    Solution

To resolve this error, follow these steps to verify Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are unchecked in the Internet Options window of Internet Explorer:

Open Internet Explorer.
    Click Tools > Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Under Settings, scroll to locate the Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 options.
    Verify Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are not checked. (You may not find these options in your Internet Explorer version. If you cannot find 1.1 and 1.2, verify Use TLS 1.0 is not checked.)

Click OK to close the window.
    Reboot your computer
    Sheila, I have no idea and sure hope someone can explain how to do that in Firefox. Or give us a link.
    Get well so do take care of yourself.

Request Entity Too Large (413) is a server side error, from what I read.

MS had problems with the recent TLS Windows Update, so it could be related to that. KB2992611
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/284...b-3000850.html

If you want to play around with the TLS settings:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Security.tls.version.*

Midknyte: I read the articles that you posted, plus, some of their links. I can partially understand what is going on but know that to do something to fix this problem is over my head. I have a daughter who lives in another town that would understand all of this. She works for a IT company and is very knowledgeable about how to fix computers. I can't go to her but when she gets home from work, I will send her this link to this form (my problem) and let her read everything that is written. Then maybe by remote computering she can fix this problem for me. She does not use FF but I am sure she would understand what has to be done. She doesn't get home until late evening (hopefully she does not have something else to do) so it will be late before she can help me.

I will post back her tomorrow and let everyone know what happened and if the problem was fixed or not.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Before you jack up Firefox, try using IE and following that "fix". Note the changes you make in case you need to undo them.

I'm thinking it's more of a server-side issue, so there might not be anything you can do on your end.

I also, read that as a server side error. And the fixes are how to get around them, we hope.

Dear People:

I was so sick that I lost a day and thought today was Friday and that my daughter was at work. I sent her a text and told her to call me when she got off. She called me as soon as she read my text and told me that this was Saturday . But alas she was on her way to W.Virgina and would not be back for 8 days. She seemed to know what is wrong and how to fix it. She told me to first go to: Control Panel, Internet Options, Advance settings, and then click where it said to reset IE. She said if this did not fix the problem then when she got to W.Virgina that she would be able to help me from there with System File Checker. Well I did as she instructed and then went back to Fox News and for a long time I didn't get any errors. I finally got 2 of these errors before I left the web site. Since I seem to mainly have this problem when I go to Fox News, I am with the 2 of you who seems to think it might be a server problem. But I did not get as many of these errors after doing as my daughter instructed.

When my daughter calls me tonight and helps me with System File Checker, I will see if this fixes the problem. I will post back tomorrow and let everyone know. Knowing my daughter she won't give up until she figures out what the problem is.
    Thanks,
    Sheila
    Sheila

And Thank you for the update,

Hi, Sheila,

Internet Options applies only to IE, not FF. Also the solution you quoted in your 2nd post.

Here's the encryption problem. SSL v. 3, the level of encryption usually used by browsers, has a serious flaw that can be exploited by the Poodle virus. A few weeks ago we received a notice from Mozilla, or maybe from one of the technical bulletins, to switch our browsers to a lower level of security, TLS, using this add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...rsion-control/

Here's an article that explains it more clearly. The article cited by Midnyte is not up-to-date, and is just general info about security.
    https://blog.mozilla.org/security/20...nd-of-ssl-3-0/

We're on FF v. 33.1 now, and v. 34 will have SSSL v.3 disabled by default, when it comes out on Nov. 25.

I keep up with Mozilla and find fixes for my problems on this forum, where I've been a member for 13 years. All the mods there are either in the computer business or retired from it, much like the folks here, but they're also experts in Mozilla products.

www.forums.mozillazine.org

Find if this fixes your problem by installing the add-on and restarting your FF. And I recommend always running the latest version.

Are you getting the error message only on one site? If so, it's their server problem, not yours, but you must install that add-on anyway.

Rochelle
    Last edited by foxy; November 22nd, 2014 at 10:49 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Good info, foxy.

I think she is on FF 32.1.0 ESR.

I just checked my FF33.1.1 and FF32.1.0 ESR at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html and both say "Your user agent is not vulnerable."

Foxy: I just got back here after hours of surfing the web, including Fox News, and just saw your post. That being said, I no longer seems to have the problem. I kept clicking on links and on the print icon button and did not get any error messages.

This is what was done last night. Keep in mind that I have 3 hard drives and each one is 1 TB so it took a long time for my computer to be scanned and repaired. It took all evening and over half the night but I am seemingly without any problems now--and in fact, my computer seems to be zipping along even faster than it use to--much faster now.

I called my daughter last night after she had gotten to W. Virgina and she remotely took over my computer. She had been driving for 6 hours on 2 hours sleep so she did not feel like taking a lot of time to explain to me what she was doing. I will explain the best I can at what I saw her do. First she went to this site: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

Once she downloaded "Windows Repair (All in One)" and installed it, my daughter went through the list and checked the boxes she thought needed repairing--was quite a list. Some she did not check because she said it had to do with Windows 8 and I had 7. Then she disabled my anti-virus software and she clicked to make the program run. As I said, it took a very long time since I have 3 such big hard drives. When I got up at 6 AM it was finished and all I had to do was reboot. I am amazed at how good my computer is running now.

I have not read Foxy's links yet but I planned to even though my computer is now fixed.
    I appreciate everyone's input, trying to help solve my PC problem. All of you are the best!
    Thanks!
    Sheila

I think that is a tool Broni uses too.

Thread Information