Dell Inspiron Power Cord Loose

Thread: Dell Inspiron Power Cord Loose

Dell Inspiron Power Cord Loose

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 N5110 I've had a couple years now.

On this model, the power cord is at the rear of the machine. Over time, the port for the power cord has become very loose. The power cord simply falls out during use, sometimes without my realizing it. In the middle of a good movie, the laptop abruptly shuts down because of low battery ...

I also had a loose power cord on my old Vostro that I've since sold. Same thing, power cord in the rear of the machine abruptly falls out with little warning.

What is this with Dell laptops and their auto-ejecting power cords? Is it the power cords or the power ports? I thought I read that the problem was with a small ring within the port that's become dislodged with use?

If it's the power port, how can this be repaired? What part exactly has to be replaced?

Thanks ...

A worn out power cord jack on a laptop is a fairly common problem. The only satisfactory solution is to replace it with a new one. Unfortunately, this requires quite a bit of tedious, but not hard labor. For example:

Tip: To help avoid this problem with any electronic ports is to take care upon insertion and removal. No wiggling up, down, sideways, nor with force. Gently straight in, and then gently straight back out.

Thanks, Doc, for the info. This video was very helpful. I may well end up replacing the power jack as indicated.

You're welcome. At least with that model it doesn't appear that you don't have to do any soldering work on the motherboard.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; August 27th, 2014 at 10:26 AM.

Thread Information