Laptop Touchpad Mouse Cursor Randomly Jumps

Thread: Laptop Touchpad Mouse Cursor Randomly Jumps

Laptop Touchpad Mouse Cursor Randomly Jumps

I have an Alienware laptop running Windows 7, and a little while back the mouse cursor started jumping halfway down the screen at what appear to be random intervals. It usually happens from the middle (vertically; it can be on the left, right, or anywhere in between) so it jumps to the very bottom. Sometimes it seems to go straight down, and other times it will move somewhat diagonally. It's not tied to any specific application. I did some Google searching and found solutions ranging from "don't rest your hands on the touchpad" to "boot sector virus" and everything in between. I've tried a variety of mouse settings, but nothing has changed the behavior. I don't even know where to start with this one...

Thanks!

Does this happen even when you are not touching the mouse pad? If so, do you notice any hard drive or screen activity when this occurs?

DanaMorrigan--Scan with Antivirus and Antimalware apps.
    Reinstall the mouse drivers.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

It only happens when I'm using the mouse. It seems to happen less when I'm moving slowly, but that's just an impression; it's variable overall. I went directly to the Dell site and updated my mouse driver from there, but still no change. I did a Malwarebytes scan as well as a full Avast scan last night. The Avast scan returned two results, quarantined them, and did a boot scan with no additional problems found. The mouse behavior hasn't changed, though.

If an external mouse does not have the same issue, then it may be a hardware problem.

I'm sure you must've tried this ... if you're using an external mouse, disable the touchpad. Check to make sure gestures are also disabled.

I have two Dell Inspirons, one newer, Win 8. I was getting very erratic mouse behavior. Check that mouse is Dell compatible. If you have a scroll wheel, check that setting carefully.

You're running Alienware? Must be nice! ... do you have any other external gaming components? I've had a Logitech force feedback joystick that was conflicting with mouse settings. If you have anything like that, does the problem continue after disconnecting your other device?

Thread Information