New RAM not recognized - no POST

Thread: New RAM not recognized - no POST

Unhappy New RAM not recognized - no POST

I just purchased some RAM online and received the package of previously opened RAM (that's where the first alarm bell went off), powered down my PC, disconnected all peripherals, opened case and added these two sticks of memory, reconnected powered up and nothing happened. By nothing I mean there was not even a beep from the BIOS or any signal sent to the monitor. The only sounds were those of the power supply and the hard drive.

I then tried the following:
    - removed the two existing 1GB sticks of Kingston RAM and tried rebooting again. Same results, nothing at all.
    - moved the two new sticks of RAM to the other channel and tried again; same results
    - removed all RAM and this time received a beeping CMOS error for lack of RAM
    - disconnected everything and removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then restarted with just the new memory. Nothing happened once again
    - removed the 4GB of "new" Crucial RAM and put the original 2x1GB of Kingston back in. Powered up and all was good (I had to put date, boot device order...).

So here's the equipment:
    ASUS P5Q SE Motherboard
    Original RAM: 2x 1GB modules Kingston 99U5429-005.A00LF
    New\additional RAM: 2x 2GB modules of DDR2 667 PC2-5300 Crucial (CT25664AA667.16FHZ #on sticks).

I used the Crucial Scanner tool to check for compatibility. I don't have a floppy installed so couldn't run a Memory test if I could even get by the boot up.

Currently if I install these sticks of RAM I don't even have any POST activity. Is there something else I can do, or should I just put them back in the mail and try to get a refund? As I said, the package had been previously opened and stapled closed when I received it in questionable packaging (meaning that there is nothing that seems to protect it from static or magnetization).
    Just trying to give others a friendly hand.

Contact seller for refund/exchange.
    Cheers.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Yes, get a refund. But in the mean time, install your previous memory and reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes then reinstalling that. This should get you back up and running.

Thanks Shinma - Just needed a second opinion.

Edit: Thanks Photolady. I already did that, that's how I'm posting this. I mentioned that as the last point in my list above, but maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm afraid I haven't had time to hang out here for quite a while and I haven't been tinkering much so I'm a little out of the loop.
    Last edited by Herring; May 6th, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Just trying to give others a friendly hand.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I already did that, that's how I'm posting this. I mentioned that as the last point in my list above, but maybe I wasn't clear.
    You probably were clear but I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Thread Information