Printer ink

Thread: Printer ink

Printer ink

Hi there,

I have been given a 'non' working Pixma MP640 and for the life of me, cannot find the problem. It appears to work fine the the previous owner does not want it back. I would like to try some colour printing but three of the ink cartridges report empty.

Given that it is 'possibly' faulty, I therefore don't want to spend a lot on the correct inks, only to have to discard them. Are there any reputable, compatible ink suppliers for this printer? Alternatively, what should I be looking for in compatible cartridges?

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Inkjets123 sells Canon ink at a cheaper than retail price. I would try these before buying the more expensive Canon inks.

Many thanks; unfortunately, I'm in the UK.

Given what I read and hear about the quality of inks and/or whether the chip will be recognised, is it a gamble to buy low cost compatible? Do they generally work with no problems or is it a risk and waste of money?

Rex

Oops, I forgot you're in the UK. But to answer you question, yes, they work fine. I used them in my Epson and the printer had the cartridges that had the chip in them. What I bought were the remanufactured in cartridges. They cost me about $8 per cartridge and the printer used 6 cartridges.

Search google for ink in the UK. I can't help but Supersparks is from there so maybe he can suggest something. I'll ask him for you.

Hi Jerry,

I rarely look beyond Amazon for stuff like that these days:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ixma+MP640+ink

Alternatively, you may find a local shop that does refurb ink and toner cartridges - there's one on my local high street (North Finchley), and I got a toner cartridge for my laser printer that was quite cheap and worked perfectly As long as you get a cartridge that has the right chip in it then you shouldn't have much trouble.
    Nick.

Thanks; I have bought a set from Cartridge Save.

I am unlikely to be using it to the extent that I will print the apparent 350 pages to empty the colours. I do want to try some photo printing. during the 'resting' period, I have heard that the inks can dry up and block the print head. Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening? Remove the cartridges and cover the outlet? Wash the print head and if so, how?

Thanks

Rex

What I did to prevent them drying up was just print a page or the test page about once a week. You can remove the cartridges but that might cause more problems when you reinsert them, especially if they have a out of date in the chip.

I used to clean print heads by soaking them in a mixed solution of water and ammonia, rinsing in clear water after doing so.

I'm a bit thick on this one; do you mean to say that not only is there a 'sell by' date, but it is coded into the chip. So if the ink is OK but the date isn't, the cartridge is rubbish. Isn't that close to blackmail? Or in the case of printer inks, cyanmail!

short print about once a week is what I do and have the inks last .Have gone to once every two wwks and my Epsons kept running until they where empty.

10 color photos of 13 X 15 will come right close to emptying my inks out In the Epson 1100. Epson Artisan 730 is my latest.

Thread Information