Adobe Premiere Stopped Working

Thread: Adobe Premiere Stopped Working

Adobe Premiere Stopped Working

This happened about a year ago out of the blue. Adobe Premiere just plain stopped working. It was working fine last night. Now when I try to open it or any project it simply starts up in a new window as normal and then closes. The rest of the PC is unaffected.

Last year this problem was solved by simply reinstalling the whole program from scratch. Time consuming, and this time I have active projects so I cannot merely delete the program files or else all active projects will be lost.

Last year I did try going to Adobe's updates for help and it was a big mistake as my version on Premiere is an old one.

I suspect the problem was some type of automated update since last night which is preventing Premiere from opening.

I already attempted a System Restore to an earlier time but it has not helped.

In July 2013 a Windows update did muck up Premiere for all users and that problem was solved here by simply finding the Windows update and deleting it.

How can we track down the problem and fix it?

Or, if Premiere must be reinstalled from scratch how can I save my projects?

Thanks.

Why can't you simply copy the folder(s) you save your projects in to a backup drive?

That's probably what I'll have to do since no one has suggested anything else. I backed up the files so after reinstall I will move them into the needed folders. I suspect this may not work, but I'll be no worse off than I am now.

I'd really like advice to see what Windows or other updates occurred around the time of the crash. The Premiere says it was last changed at 12:41am East coast time on 3-21-14.

Thanks.

I guess I'm a bit confused here. Is there something special about files created with Adobe Premier that would keep them from being able to be backed up and restored successfully?

You didn't say which version of Premiere. Did you check for updates or patches on the Adobe site?

You'll be able to open your files once you reinstall Premiere, as long as you've got the same version or later as the version you saved the files with.

I'm a cinematographer and director of photography in Milwaukee.
    I use Windows, OSX, and 40 TB of storage to tell stories with my
    Sony FS7 | Panasonic GH4 | 5D mark III
    Find me on Google + | Facebook | Twitter

Sorry I haven't been in touch I've been busy.

In my experience I would recommend NOT checking Adobe for updates. This cause major problems with both Photoshop and Premiere Pro 3.0 the last time I had problems with these programs, not only would they crash my computer but they also made it next to impossible to simply uninstall and reinstall these programs.

I attempted a Control Panel reinstall without success.

Why wouldn't the old project files work after a reinstall? I just figure they might not. OR even worse they may caught Premiere to crash all over again.

I have no choice but to do a manual uninstall and reinstall and report back.

Photoshop and Premiere Pro 3.0? Wow. Those are pretty old versions. Good luck with the uninstall/reinstall.

Okay. The manual uninstall and reinstall was successful. Premiere works.

However, when I moved over the old "Cache Media Files" which is what I need to open my old projects I had the exact same result as before. Premiere would begin to open and then close.

Just to clarify, it's not just the old projects that won't open. Premiere itself will not open while I has the old cache files in its folders.

When I restored the new "Cache Media Files" created by default by the reinstall it works perfectly.

I believe the old "Cache Media Files" were the cause of the problem. Their total size was 250G. I deleted old projects and narrowed it down to 133G. Still pretty big.

I suspect this may be why the exact same problem reoccurs every 6 months. The "Cache Media Files" (even after being narrowed down) may be so big that Premiere can't open anything anymore.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Or has a suggestion as to how to find what might be the problem files in the old batch?
    Last edited by Dollanganger; March 25th, 2014 at 06:29 PM.

Update. Partial success. I deleted more of the old files down to about 50G but the exact same problems still occurred.

Then I deleted my most recent projects around the date of the crash. Perhaps one of them was corrupted and mucking up everything else?

Then I transferred the old files, not the folders but the old "Media Cache Files" to the brand new "Media Cache" folders and indeed the old project opened!

So my most recent projects were lost but the older most important ones were saved.

I'm not sure who uses Premiere around here, so you might have better luck at the Adobe forums:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/pr...repro_previous

Premier Media Cache Files eating up Drive Space

Thread Information