Macromedia Shockwave Player 8.0 & Adobe Flash Player 11.0 (Active)

Thread: Macromedia Shockwave Player 8.0 & Adobe Flash Player 11.0 (Active)

Macromedia Shockwave Player 8.0 & Adobe Flash Player 11.0 (Active)

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Laptop using Windows 7-64 bit. I use Secunia PSI, Version 3.0. It states the following needs a manual uploaded & when I search for it, I find it no longer exists. I want to know if I eliminate these (2) programs, will I have a problem with Windows 7? The files are as follows:

C:/Windows/SYSWOW64/Macromed/Shockwave 8/SWInit.exe, (Macromedia Shockwave 8, Version 8.5.1.102)

C:/Windows/SYSWOW64/Macromed/Flash/SWFlash.ocx (Installed Version: 5.0.42.0 (Active X)),
    C:/Windows/SYSWOW64/Macromed/Flash/Flash32_11_9_900_117.ocx (Adobe Flash Player 11.0 (Active X), Installed Version: 11.900.117 (Active X)).

Do I want to eliminate these programs & how do I do this since they are not listed under Programs? Please advise the steps I should take.

Thanks for your advise and guidance. It will help me understand what to do.

DarElls

Note that once you've uninstalled these two programs you can reinstall them if you need them.

Flash is commonly used and necessary to view a lot of on line content esp videos and animation. Most of us use it.

Shockwave.. not so much. I haven't had it installed for many years.. it's mostly useful only if you play certain interactive online games that require it.

Neither is necessary for your computer to run but without Flash you will probably miss a lot of content while browsing the web. You should always allow it to automatically update itself to the latest version.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Shockwave now is at version 12. Flash at version 11.9.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I used the Uninstall Removal Tools that Train suggested. I re-installed only Flash. Flash is up-to-date with version 11.9.

I still have (1) problem relating to Shockwave. It is as follows: C:/Windows/SYSWOW64/Macromed/Flash/SWFlash.ocx (Installed Version: 5.0.42.0 (Active X)). I looked in this directory and found the date of this file, which is 1-8-2002. How do I eliminate this file? The rest of the dates in this same directory are 12-2013 except (1) directory which is dated 10-2013 (Flash Player Trust). I am not sure whether I need this directory. Do any of you? How do I get rid of this directory?

Please advise the steps I should take. Thanks for your advise and guidance. It will help me understand what to do.

DarElls

R-click it and select properties and check it out real good. Take notes and post them.

This is showing the contents of my folder, but my browser is Firefox. Never use IE myself.

It is as follows: C:/Windows/SYSWOW64/Macromed/Flash/SWFlash.ocx (Installed Version: 5.0.42.0 (Active X)). I looked in this directory and found the date of this file, which is 1-8-2002. How do I eliminate this file?
    You can't just delete the file? I don't have SWFlash.ocx. I don't have a Flash Player Trust folder either.

Yes, I know this. I am trying to find how to delete these old files.

What do you mean how? You can't just click on them and then press Delete?

I know that! I am getting message in Securina PSI 3.0 they are outdated & should be removed. They state you should manually update. I cannot do that because they are outdated. I am trying to find a way to delete them correctly.

Why are you trying to update them if they are no longer used by the current version of Flash? I don't understand your logic.

Run the uninstallers that Train posted. If there is anything left in the Flash/Shockwave folders, then delete them. Then do a fresh install of Flash/Shockwave.

These are the two folders:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Adobe\Director\

Thread Information