How to connect LTO drive to server

Thread: How to connect LTO drive to server

Question How to connect LTO drive to server

Okay, this admittedly isn't desktop computer but server computer instead. I hope this is okay...

Can someone tell me how this backup device is supposed to connect to a server? I've never setup one of these and an associate of mine is looking to buy one. It's unclear to me what he'll need to connect it to the server. He has a RAID controller in his server (a small HP tower server) and it has an external connection to it, but I don't think you're supposed to connect this to a RAID controller. Maybe I'm wrong. I think he'll need to buy an add-on card, but what kind? That's where I'm stuck.

Tandberg
    LTO 3 HH External

Tandberg
    LTO 4 HH External

Tandberg has models with "Fibre Channel", "SAS" and "SCSI" interfaces.

Then I'm guessing he'd need an add-on card for his server for whichever connection type he decides on, correct? A Fibre Channel add-on card if he chooses Fibre Channel, a SCSI add-on card for the SCSI one or a SAS add-on card for the SAS one?

Here's the make/model of the one from Newegg he's looking at. It's a SAS connected device so I guess he just purchases a SAS add-on card to go with it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16840119042

Thanks for all the help everyone. One last question...

I'm sure there's a big speed difference between an LTO 3 or 4 tape backup system and a RDX USB 3.0 backup system. However, there seems to be about a $1,000 price difference when you add in everything (backup hardware, cartridges or tapes, and add-on cards). For a small business with 1 server and 10 users do you feel like a RDX USB 3.0 backup system would be at least an okay idea if not a good idea?

Thread Information