Thoughts on why I cannot boot windows 7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on why I cannot boot windows 7

Thoughts on why I cannot boot windows 7

I have been working on a Lenovo desktop for two days now trying to get it to boot to windows 7 home. The computer was working fine when it was left running , the next morning it was at the screen to repair your computer. I have run out of things to try. The computer for some reason had no restore points. I first thought virus but I had one of the best on the internet help me and he said the system was clean. I was transferring what he told me to do with a USB jump drive. I booted with Farbar recovery scan tool and the first log showed this
    Attention: Software hive is missing.
    I will just link the website I was posting to and maybe someone can see something we missed? I think Broni helps here so Broni do not be mad at me for trying to get this thing to boot.

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/...t-virus-maybe/

Being I spent most of my life working on things I always try and find out what caused a problem. I have all the files backed up and can used the Lenovo recovery software to get it back to factory state. My question is what if it happens again. For some reason I just do not feel good about this one and I have to make a decision by tomorrow on what I will do. If anyone sees anything on all my posts from smartestcomputing website please feel free to post back with suggestions. Tom
    Last edited by tdark; August 18th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    It quite possible that you got something made your computer do this through a update from Windows itself. A KB is the bad and unless you knew this, and didn't uninstall it, it could cause your computer to BSOD and not boot correctly.

This is the one that causes that problem:
    KB2859537

Since you have everything backed up I would say go ahead and do the recovery. And when you get the updates, watch for that one I posted and don't install it.

photolady, you mean to tell me this ?
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-c2979c1c03e1

and yet Microsoft will not admit their mistake. I wonder if it happens on all windows 7 computers or just certain ones? What a nightmare this could cause. Is there a way to go into the system through a comman prompt and remove that update if that is the problem? Now this really make me nervous. You just do not know how many hours I have spent trying to solve this and yet I am right where I was Friday.
    Last edited by tdark; August 18th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

I see that update in another one of my system yet I had no problems
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2859537)

Installation date: ‎8/‎14/‎2013 3:00 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=309338

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

I don't think it affects all systems because my friend in VA had it but wasn't having problems but you aren't the only one on VDR had the a problem with it.
    Here is where I first learned about it:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...tomatic-Update

It was not installed on my computer because I don't let updates automatically install. I tell windows to download them but not install them. I check each one before I install an update. But also it was not listed in my updates.

You think I could do this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011
    (using option 3. It shows how to get rid of that update using command prompt. )

and get windows to boot. I know this is not the update but I could use this info and search to see if that one update is there and remove it and see if this computer would boot. It may be to late now. It went down Wednesday night and I think that's when MS done the updates. Mine other system was updated 8-14-2013 just like the one I am working with. That just is bad luck. Maybe a call to Microsoft and let them fix it for me being they are the one that messed this system up. Thanks for that info. I am betting that is the problem because this all happened on 8-14 2013. Tom

I don't think that link will help you at all. Suggestions are given assuming your computer is bootable. Did you try a repair of Windows 7? Repair Windows 7

I tried repair probably 20 times and always it fails. About every 10th time I will get the blue screen and then I cannot even get to a command prompt. This just is bad luck and I think Microsoft should repair the problems for free being we bought their operating systems. I am not sure why all PC's do not get the blue screen but if could be related to IE 10. The computer I am working with had only IE8 as we used Firefox thinking we would be safer yet updates were set to download and install automatically. I read where MS also said not to do a system restore to fix a bad update. If would be fine if I could have got to windows, I could have just went to add-remove and removed KB2859537 which I did on the other systems I have running windows 7. Not sure how some get it and some don't but I am betting its related to IE10 being not installed. Oh well, I will redo windows tomorrow and make sure I do not get that update. I will have to do a manual install I guess instead of letting MS do it for me. Tom

Photolady, the link I found showed how to remove that update from a command prompt but so far I have not been able to make that work. Tom

I found where Microsoft released a ISO download for other bad updates. You could make the ISO cd and boot the sick computer and it would remove the bad update. I wish they would release one for this one
    update, I got to the command prompt and typed dism /image:\ /get-packages
    it opened up many updates. Now to find that one and figure out how to delete it
    update again
    I cannot find that update. The last one I see was installed july 2012. Oh well I tried. Maybe that is not my problem or maybe I did not get into what I need? I do see many updates though but not that one and it looks like its been a year since last updated. I think when I get this system back running I will just shut off updates
    Last edited by tdark; August 18th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.

Strange that the update isn't showing but as you said you could be in the wrong place. Who know with computers what they do or don't do sometimes.

When you get it back up, don't turn updates off, but set it to warn when there are updates and you can decide which ones you want to install. My previous message, I said I let them download, but I don't even do that, I tell windows to let me know when there are updates then I chose whether or not to install them.

Hey Photolady. I just looked another computer I have and yes indeed I can see the updates from a command prompt by typing the code I posted. The sick computer has not had an update like I mentioned in over a year according to the files I read. Last one was 7-12-2012. It was the same thing I typed on my other pc and it showed the last update today and also that KB2859537 was there also and updated on 8-14-2013. Now back to the drawing board. I am just wondering if this computer has hardware problems like maybe memory? I was strange. I just feel like it will crash again. Tom
    Last edited by tdark; August 19th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdark
    ... I am just wondering if this computer has hardware problems like maybe memory? ...
    If you suspect memory issues,
    Run diagnostic software such as Memtest86+ overnight.
    Cheers.

I had already thought of that and started the test at 11 pm last night. It is in my basement so I will check it around 11 am today and see how it goes. At least I can eliminate that. Thanks anyway. Tom

Just as I thought. I did the image restore from the hidden partiton. Everything worked great except one this. I cannot get any updates past internet explorer 8 and I cannot install service pack 1 so of course no IE10. I run microsoft fix it andf it and it said I had files corrupted. One of two things, the Lenovo image is corrupted of the hard drive test missed the test and it is bad. Come to think of it we never had anything above IE8 before and we used firefox. I installed a test drive in there now to see if I can get all the windows updates. If I can do and see if I get service 1 and IE10, If I can the HD is bad or a corrupted Lenovo corrupted image. What bad luck. If can happen it will happen to me. I went to use my phone and a friend wanted to see my new smartphone. I handed it to him and he played around with it and then dropped it on the concrete floor. Yep , he killed that to. What a week
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tdark; August 19th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Information