Rebuilding PC and DVD not working correctly

Thread: Rebuilding PC and DVD not working correctly

Rebuilding PC and DVD not working correctly

I have purchased a new PC and am giving my old PC to my son (I know it should be the other way round).
    Starting configuration - Windows XP, 2 x IDE HDD (drives C - boot & D), 4 x SATA in RAID 5, 1 SATA DVD.
    I upgraded it to Windows 8 which worked. I then cloned the IDE HHD onto an SSD so it would run faster.

I removed the SATA DVD and replaced it with an IDE DVD (80 wire cable, cable (ends correctly orientated) and jumper as master), as there was no spare SATA, and installed the SSD.

When I booted I received a message "operating system not found". So I placed the upgrade WIN 8 DVD into the DVD drive and rebooted. After a very long time not much was happening so I ejected the DVD and at this point the installation moved to the first step of installation where you can select to install or repair. This seemed strange so I repeated this process several times with the same results; I have to eject the DVD to move to the next step!

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Glyn
    I have a number of systems that I am responsible for; especially when they are not working.

Does it boot from the SSD if you temporarily disconnect the IDE DVD drive?

Hi Doc,

I tried disconnecting the power from the RAID drives just in case it was trying to boot from them and no it did not then boot from the SSD.

Any ideas on the DVD drive?

Regards,

Glyn
    I have a number of systems that I am responsible for; especially when they are not working.

Is the BIOS set to try and boot from the IDE DVD drive first?

Is the Windows 8 DVD bootable on another computer?

Quote Originally Posted by GlyndwrBartlett
    ... upgrade WIN 8 DVD...
    Perhaps looking for a valid/older version of an operating system?

Last edited by Shinma; April 15th, 2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Link to tutorial added
    Cheers.

Hi SpywareDr and Shinma,

Yes the DVD is set to be first boot and I have left the RAID drives disconnected until I have finished installing WIN 8. So all I have how is the SSD and DVD drive; to make thinks simple.

Yes the Win 8 disk is bootable on another system (I tried it on a Dell Inspiron).

To do a clean install also requires the DVD to be working properly.

I very much appreciate you advice and help.
    Regards,

Glyn

If you disconnect all drives except the IDE DVD drive, will the system then boot from a bootable CD/DVD disc in that drive?

Also, if you try SpywareDr's last suggestion, make sure that the jumper on the IDE CD/DVD drive is set correctly. It should be set to Master for that configuration.

State brand and complete model of the mobo/system in question.
    Cheers.

Hi everyone,

The current build is:

• CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 Retail Box
    • Cooling: Thermalright IFX-14
    • Fan: 3 x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM
    • Motherboard: ASUS Striker II Formula
    • Memory: OCZ PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    • HDD: 4 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB (RAID 5) (disconnected)
    • 1 x Cosair SSD CSSD-F120GB2 for operating system
    • DVD drive : Asus DRW-1608P
    • Graphics: Palit 9600 GSO Sonic 768MB
    • Power Supply: Amacrox AX750-EP
    • Case: Armor+ Tt Thermaltake

I tried the install again last night and this is what happened:

1. Started the PC with the WIN 8 DVD in the DVD drive
    2. A blue window on a black background was displayed
    3. After five minutes white dots started circling under the window
    4. After five minutes the screen went black closely followed by a blue screen
    5. I ejected the DVD and the "Windows Setup" page was displayed (Language, Time & Currency, Keyboard)
    6. Made selections and selected install now
    7. "Setup is starting"was displayed
    8. 90 minutes later I ejected the DVD
    9. The following was displayed: "Select the driver to install". "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now. Note: If the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

I will try to find the driver for the DVD drive and SSD and try this again.

The jumper on the DVD drive is set to master.

I will find/create a bootable DVD (besides the WIN DVD) and try that.

Thanks for all your help, I will report back ASAP.

Regards,

Glyn

Hi everyone again,

I have found out that the SSD does not need a driver and the DRW-1608P does not have a WIN 8 driver. So it look like I have to buy a new IDE DVD IN 8 compatible drive. I hope one is available as I do not have any SATA left (which is why I replaced the existing SATA DVD drive with the IDE DVD drive, so I could put the SSD in, in the first place).

Regards,

Glyn

Hi again, again,

I found a bootable DVD (made via Acronis as a rescue disk) and it worked fine.

Regards,

Glyn

That's odd.

Did you try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults? Is it running the latest BIOS update available?

Do you have an extra normal (spinner) SATA hard drive that you could try . . . just to see if the system will then boot from the Windows 8 DVD?

Hi SpywareDr,

No I have not tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults or updating the BIOS.

I have attached an extra normal (spinner) SATA HDD and it booted from that. I will try installing the WIN 8 upgrade onto that.

Regards,

Glyn

Hi everyone,

I have put all my hardware back to the original configuration and it is now working. I will try recloning my boot HDD to the SSD and see if that works.

One issue I have is that although the system is now booting in its original configuration, WIN 8 is not recognising my Firewire conected DV camcorder. Once I have everything working I will probably have to do a backup and recover my old operating system (WIN XP) from the backup and work with that until I have finished copying all my Mini DV tapes onto the HDD.

Regards,

Glyn

Thread Information