New hard drive question here. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hard drive question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap
    ... memory tests did reveal a Modulo 20 error though so I now have to dig into what that means...
    If Memtest86+ was used to test memory,
    As SpywareDr already stated, there should be no error(s) displayed, PERIOD.

If there are any error(s) displayed,
    Defective/damaged memory
    and/or
    Defective/damaged mobo.
    Cheers.

Memtest

So after 4 passes Memtest says all is ok! I didi notice though that some of the capacitors on my motherboard are leaking.Kinda like an old battery does. Thats probably bad huh.
    Whats weird though is all the tests are passing.
    I just changed the "Visual Settings" over to "Adjust For Best Performance" so I'll see what that does.
    I once made a hat out of a Lobster and a stick!

capacitors on my motherboard are leaking.Kinda like an old battery does.
    Hate to say this, but it is time to get a new motherboard.
    It may last a few minutes, or even years, but darn if I would trust it!

Time for a whole new system I think.

Bahhhhh!! I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and look into a new desktop. What does everyone think of the Lenovo desktops? Any ideas?

I build my own or have them custom built for me. Post a link to the one you are looking at.

Lenovo

I was thinking of the Lenovo A720. it comes out soon and I'm not too sure I want another Dell! although there are a few Dell that don't look bad. I've never built one before and wouldn't know the first thing about it. Where do you order you're stuff from Train?

You can change a tire on a car?

Actually that is harder.

Newegg.ca and of coarse you have Futureshop up there.
    http://www.newegg.ca/
    I know Futureshop when the were in the Seattle area.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/home.aspx

But if you have many doubts a off the shelf with win 7 would be good.

PCMag:
    • Lenovo IdeaCentre A720 - MSRP $1449.00 (4 of 5 stars)

Pros - Large screen. Slim, attractive design. Blu-ray. HDMI-in and HDMI-out.

Cons - IR dongle for the remote. Could've gone higher resolution with a 27-inch screen. Middling performance on benchmark tests.

Bottom Line - The Lenovo IdeaCentre A720 is one of the better touch-screen desktops out there, and sports an innovative design. But in terms of performance and features, it lags behind competing desktops.

• Apple iMac 27-inch (Thunderbolt) - MSRP $1999.00 (4 of 5 stars)

Pros - Huge 27-inch display. 2,560-by-1,440 (larger than 1080p HD) screen resolution. High-end discrete 3D graphics. Two Thunderbolt ports. Supports two external displays. 802.11a/b/g/n 5GHz Wi-Fi. Wireless keyboard and mouse. No cost optional Magic Trackpad. No bloatware. Includes iLife suite and FaceTime HD. New ambient light sensor. Color calibrated display.

Cons - Only Thunderbolt input for display (No HDMI in, no mini DisplayPort in). No Blu-ray. Could use a matte screen. Pricier than other high-end all-in-one desktops.

Bottom Line - It's pricey, has a huge screen, and is as powerful as an Asgardian thunder god. If you need a graphics PC for your business, the new Apple iMac 27-inch (Thunderbolt) will rival the huge tower workstations currently available. For the rest of us who don't live and die by deliverable deadlines, however, other recent all-in-one PCs out-innovate the Aluminum beast.

• Samsung Series 7 (DP700A38-01) - MSRP $999.99 (4 of 5 stars)

Pros - Stunning design. HDMI in and out. Slim, bright screen tilts 90 degrees to lie flat. Sleep-and-charge USB port. Easy settings. Tablet-like touch launcher.

Cons - Screen wobbles. No Blu-ray option. Needs a brake/lock for the screen tilt. Low-powered integrated graphics. A bit of bloatware.

Bottom Line - The Series 7 All-in-One PC (DP700A38-01), Samsung's first foray into desktops for the U.S., is a svelte all-in-one PC. It has one of the more innovative screens on any PC, but there are a couple of factors that keep it from beating the competition.

• Dell XPS One 27 - MSRP $1999.00 (4-1/2 of 5 stars) - Editor's Choice

Pros - Has a 2,560-by-1,440 resolution screen. USB 3.0 ports. HDMI in and out. Nice styling. Fast processor. DX11 graphics. mSATA with Intel SRT. 802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi. Internal power supply (No power brick). Nice sound. No confusing USB 2.0 ports. Sleep Charge. Performance is at mSATA speeds.

Cons - USB 3.0 ports aren't blue. No touch option. No height adjustment.

Bottom Line - There are more 27-inch all-in-one desktops these days, but very few are done right. The Dell XPS One 27 manages to put almost every technology and feature we're looking for in a compact stylish chassis.

Thread Information