HP Deskjet D4160 not recognizing ink cartridges

Thread: HP Deskjet D4160 not recognizing ink cartridges

HP Deskjet D4160 not recognizing ink cartridges

My HP Deskjet printer is not recognizing generic ink cartridges. This has happened before but usually a few reboots does the trick. This time it refuses to accept them. I bought a black and then a color cartridge from HP and installed them. Now it tells me the color cartridge is in the wrong spot ("The following print cartridge has a problem: Tri color"). I have no idea of how to proceed. Please advise. Thank you. Steve
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMP170
    ..."The following print cartridge has a problem: Tri color"...
    Following responses posted at HP:

1. Open the top cover of the printer until the carriage moves to the center. Unplug the power from the back of the printer. Remove the tri-color cartridge and take a damp (water only) cotton swab and clean both the copper colored contacts on the back of the cartridge (not the nozzles on the bottom) and in the carriage. Sometimes, overspray from the ink and/or dust can get on the nozzles and cause the cartridge to be rejected. Typically cleaning the contacts on both the cartridge and carriage will resolve.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, the next step would be to get a new cartridge.

2. Turning the printer off and cleaning the golden contacts on the printer cartridge with a damp cloth worked for me!
    Cheers.

Shinma, I did what you recommend but it hasn't solved my problem. My printer is now nice and clean!!! Any other suggestions? The ink cartridges in the printer are new and I wiped them as well. Thanks. Steve
    Steve

Another suggestion found at HP:

Thank God! It is finally running. Even though I had clicked on the HP icon to check for important software and driver updates it kept telling me that it was up to date. I had even un-installed and re-installed the software that came with the printer.

This time I went to HP Support page and found my printer. Then I clicked on "Software and Driver Downloads" and then downloaded two drivers that were listed. I'm happy to announce that I'm back up and printing.

And the common replies found, is to replace the cartridge in question due to possible defect.
    Cheers.

4124 Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I would recommend you to follow this link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...s&dlc=en&lc=en . This has helped me hope it works for you also.

Thread Information