Not booting after long power off

Thread: Not booting after long power off

Not booting after long power off

I had to go overseas for about 6 weeks, so turned my desktop computer off. Also unplugged it as my area is prone to thunderstorms. When I tried to turn it on the indicator light flashed on and fans started for about a second then nothing. Power indicator was still lit on the MB. Was only able to reproduce the symptom by turning power off completely, wait a few seconds and then try with the same results. After leaving power on it for a few hours I was then able to boot normally. I left it turned on and functional for over 24hrs, but again turned it off and disconnected it as a severe storm was suspected. Again I had the same fault. I pulled out the RAM and reseated them but still no success. Again left it off for about an hour with power on. Again it tried to start, ran for a longer period and then stopped. The longer I left it with power on the longer it stayed on before turning off. I had to leave it off for a few hours before it would go through the complete boot process.
    Of note is that the clock is actually ahead of time by about 5 mins, but that may have been like that anyway. But it has not lost time or date.
    I have an ASUS P5LD2 Motherboard and running XP. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the CMOS power which is a small Lithium cell. I bought a new one but have not tried changing it as I am not sure of the procedure. Also the time setting appears OK, which I assume runs off this.
    However the symptom appears to be as if something is "charging up" when power is left on and discharges if left unplugged.
    The computer is operating OK now but I dare not turn it off.
    Any help would be appreciated.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Sounds like a failing power supply.

I'd replace that battery. Here's how to reset the BIOS, do as it says but install the new battery. Remove the cover and look at the Motherboard--the battery is pretty hard to miss--it's round and shiny like a coin. They're normally a CR2032 but check yours when you take it out. Should be able to get one in a Drug store or Hardware store.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8202548_rese...ios-p5ld2.html
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

While you have the case open, you might consider inspecting the capacitors on the motherboard. If any of them are bulging or leaking, that would indicate a problem that might cause your sypmtoms.

Links:

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Hi All,
    Sorry for the long delay in responding. I checked the capacitors..all OK. Decided to change the CMOS supply battery as suggested. All went well. The computer is booting OK, but I have not tried leaving it unplugged for any length of time. BUT since resetting the BIOS another problem is occurring. In Win Explorer when clicking on a directory or folder it takes ages for the sub-folders or files to appear. Similarly when scrolling or using the slide bars with the mouse. I note as soon as Win Explorer opens the CPU usage goes up to 50% and stays there for a long time, further extended by mouse clicks. Using Internet Explorer without opening Win Explorer is fine and does not load up the CPU. Other programs like Word etc do not load up the CPU. Another thing which may be related. When the computer boots it automatically opens up Win Explorer at Win\System32.
    Would again appreciate your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by op9
    ... Another thing which may be related. When the computer boots it automatically opens up Win Explorer at Win\System32...
    Time for a thorough scan with your antivirus software and/or anti-malware software.
    Cheers.

Already did a complete scan with Microsoft Essentials (after updating it). Nothing found. This problem occurred straight after resetting the BIOS.
    Thanks

You can double check the CMOS/BIOS menu settings
    but
    Doubtful that BIOS would cause described software issue.
    Cheers.

It might be time to run the hard drive manufacturer's doagnostics on that drive. Also, check the BIOS settings for the drive to make sure they are the same as they were before.

I agree, starting to sound more like a hard drive problem. Might want to try disconnecting/reconnecting all ends of the HD cables a few times in an attempt to clean the contacts. Might also want to try a different SATA port and power lead.

Thread Information