[RESOLVED] Boot up message "One of your disks need to be checked for consistency:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Boot up message "One of your disks need to be checked for consistency:

Resolved [RESOLVED] Boot up message "One of your disks need to be checked for consistency:

What does this message mean ? When I boot up my laptop after a fresh reinstall of Wndows XP Pro with SP3, I get this message...

One of your disks need to be checked for consistency

It then went on to display a message that scrolls rapidly down the laptop screen which seems to go on forever, even after 30 minutes...still going on at the moment, that says.....

File record segment xxxx (number that goes on one number higher than the other.....like 37280, then ....37281....37282....sort of a countdown) is unreadable

What does this mean ? My HDD is dead or...?

Any help on how to fix this is greatly appreciated. Many thank in advanced.

Oops ! I just noticed that my thread heading is missing a letter u on Boot up..... and I don't know how to edit this. Sorry !
    Last edited by slickcondo; October 18th, 2012 at 03:00 AM.

Good idea to run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    Good idea to run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
    Thanks. But how do I do that ? It is a Toshiba disk, about 1 year old.

Cheers.

If anything, run Seagate Seatools. If you see a temp warning, just ignore it. That's a false positive on non-Seagate drives.

I always run a memory and hard drive test on systems I repair. You don't want to waste time on software if it's a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    Tried to download this. But it keep coming up with other files to downlaod, when I clicked on the DONWLOAD, like File Converter instead of this Ultimate Boot file.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    If anything, run Seagate Seatools. If you see a temp warning, just ignore it. That's a false positive on non-Seagate drives.

I always run a memory and hard drive test on systems I repair. You don't want to waste time on software if it's a hardware issue.
    I ran this test when I first replaced the HDD and it came up no problem. Anyway, running this program at the moment and I'll report back when it's done. Thanks.

UPDATE

I ran Drive Fitness Test and the result that came up is:
    Disposition = 0x000

What does this mean ? Everything ok ?

I also ran SeaTool for DOS and there's no problem result shown.

So why is CHKDISK at start up coming up with the symptoms I described earlier ?

Any clarifications greatly appreciated and what should I do next ?

Thanks
    Last edited by slickcondo; October 18th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Did you run the short/quick test or the long/comprehensive test?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Did you run the short/quick test or the long/comprehensive test?
    I ran both and both came back with no problem.

Even though no errors were reported by SeaTools, I would probably not trust the drive. You could try haveing chkdsk repair the drive. That might take a while, and may or may not work.

Even though no errors were reported by SeaTools, I would probably not trust the drive. You could try haveing chkdsk repair the drive. That might take a while, and may or may not work.
    How would I do that - to get Chkdisk repair the drive ? I'm not too computer savvey.

Doesn't this mean that the test carried out is meaningless if it reports no problem, and yet not to trust the result ? Don't forget I did both Sea Tool as well as Drive Fitness test and both came up with no problem.

Toshiba does not have their own specific drive test software. If they did, it might find something that a generic test does not. In any case, if chkdsk finds errors after a clean install, then something is likely to be wrong.

You could try a chkdsk C: /R to try to fix the errors, or you could try a complete long reformat and reinstall of Windows. I assume that you formatted the drive using the computer it is now in, and you did not do a quick format. If those assumptions are correct, and it were my computer, I would not trust that drive to store any valuable data.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...-is-unreadable

Toshiba does not have their own specific drive test software. If they did, it might find something that a generic test does not. In any case, if chkdsk finds errors after a clean install, then something is likely to be wrong.

You could try a chkdsk C: /R to try to fix the errors, or you could try a complete long reformat and reinstall of Windows. I assume that you formatted the drive using the computer it is now in, and you did not do a quick format. If those assumptions are correct, and it were my computer, I would not trust that drive to store any valuable data.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...-is-unreadable
    Thanks for the link. But it seems that they are all not a free program. So it's not much use to me.

And yes, I did made a full format and not a quick format. But I have no problem to reistall everything if that will secure my program in the disk. I am even prepared to change the hard disk drive if necessary as this hard drive may still be under warranty, though it may be difficult to show that the disk is faulty to the supplier unless you know of a way how I could do this. What would you do if it is your computer ? But I do not undrstand what you mean by C:/R to fix the error. Where do I input this ?
    Last edited by slickcondo; October 18th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

From a Command Prompt, enter the command below:

Code:
    chkdsk C: /R
    If you want to record the output to send to Toshiba for warranty purposes, you could also use the following command, which will create a chkdskc.txt file in the folder that the Command Prompt window is set to use.

Code:
    chkdsk C: /R > chkdskc.txt
    Links:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...-f-208645.html

If it were my hard disk, and was under warranty, I would try to record the errors and get Toshiba to replace it. Failing that (after several attempts with different tech support people), I would still replace it with a different brand of drive.

Thread Information