[RESOLVED] CPU gets hot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] CPU gets hot

Resolved [RESOLVED] CPU gets hot

When I copy large amount of data (100gb) or large folders from one hard drive to another hard drive, the temperature spikes up in RealTemp (from 35c to 70c).

-Is there anyway to control the process or lower the CPU heat?
    -Why would the CPU get hot for a copy action?
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Check the inside of your computer for dust; especially, the heatsink fins. Probably dust clogged. A cpu works when you are doing anything on your computer, it doesn't matter what, so if it's heatsink is clogged with dust, it's struggling to keep your cpu cool.

Hi photolady,

I clean it periodically. I really don't think it is the dust.

It only happens on cut or copy of large data (GB) from hard drive to hard drive.

If it's getting hot, it's gets hot. Doesn't matter what you're doing to cause it. What software are you using to check the temps with? I use OCCT as it's more accurate than any other I've found to check temps.

Also, when was the last heatsink grease applied?

I use RealTemp.

The last time I applied IC Diamond about 2 years ago.

I understand if it is getting hot, it is getting hot but only during copy or cut actions on large data. It is like playing a PC game or loading heavy loads using Prime 95. Copy cut command is that intensive? Everything else, it is acting normal. Temp range at 35c.

What I meant was, if the cpu is working harder when moving data than when reading something, it's going to get hot. It depends on how fast it moves the data, if it's slow when moving the data, then the cpu is working harder. Two years from changing thermal grease is a bit long. If it were me, I'd clean the old off and apply new Artic Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    What I meant was, if the cpu is working harder when moving data than when reading something, it's going to get hot. It depends on how fast it moves the data, if it's slow when moving the data, then the cpu is working harder.
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess this is normal but was hoping to find a solution where I can make the priority of the process to 2nd or 3rd. That might slow down the transfer and not so CPU intensive. If this is normal, then no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    Two years from changing thermal grease is a bit long. If it were me, I'd clean the old off and apply new Artic Silver.
    No Way!!! Are you kidding me??? hahahaha, just kidding. So bored right now, just want to put some excitement in this post. Actually, about to head out for a drink with some buds.

Anyway, so you would change it every year or something? I thought that thermal compound appreciates as time passes. If that is not the case, then I will apply new. I heard Artic 5 is supposed to be the greatest stuff according to the reviews on NewEgg.

-Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM

Currently I have this as my CPU Fan:
    -ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Since I am going to apply new thermal, might as well upgrade the CPU fan since I have always wanted to upgrade since 6 months ago. Would you go with an air or water:
    -Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
    or
    -Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System

Thanks PhotoLady.

I like the sealed watercooling kits, they have great performance and are close to silent. I us an h70 on my 980x and it works wonderfully. The thermaltake water cooling kit, might be very good, but, make sure that your computer case can accomodate a dual fan radiator.

As for copying files, I just made a test, on my Intel 980x, copying a large amount of files > 150gB, the cpu load never went over 2% and on my q9650 the cpu load never went over 4%, so it's kind of surprising that with such a small cpu load that your cpu temp doubled. I think that you should check you case airflow.

As for thermal paste, 3-4 years ago, I built my q9650, and I used artic silver 5 for thermal paste. This cpu has never been reinstalled, therefore the same thermal paste has been there since it was first assembled. Temps are a little higher than what they were when this computer was first built, however it's no more than 2 or 3c higher at full load than it was 3-4 years ago.

thank you glussier.

I have an Antec 900 case. Not sure if that would accomodate the thermaltake.

As for the copying, did you copy from SSD to SSD? Mine temperature does not rise on SSD but when copying between HD to HD.

As for thermal paste, I am probably going to stick with IC Diamond since there are comparison between the two on google.

The 900 case is large enough, however on top of the case there is only 1 fan opening, you might be able to install the radiator in the bottom front if the coolant tubes are long enough.

I made sure I was not using an ssd, I copied from 1 mechanical hard drive to another mechanical hard-drive on both computers. And, all drives were plugged to sata ports. Check your hard-drives temp, you might have 1 of the drives that is heating-up when being used heavily.

I don't think it is the hard drives because it is consistent with all of them when I hot swap ahci.

I wonder it might be a setting in windows or the bios. Just weird. Why would there be a load on the CPU for a cut or copy action.

I am using windows 7 64 bit

What is your cpu usage while you are copying files?

Can you give more details about the cpu, motherboard and power supply being used in your computer?
    Last edited by glussier; October 8th, 2012 at 11:40 AM.

The only time my CPU does any work when transferring files is if they are being compressed or uncompressed. A straightforward transfer doesn't use any noticeable CPU time on any of my rigs, Windows or Linux. If this is a straight file transfer, there is something wrong if it's using a lot of CPU, so you should check that and report back what you find.
    Nick.

glussier, this is my spec:
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX (rev. 2.0) Socket 1366
    Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core BX80601930
    Patriot Viper Xtreme 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) PX7312G2000ELK

Nick, according to what you are saying, then something is wrong with my setting. Here is the picture before any action being copied.
    Attachment 10799

I am not sure why I can't attach another picture. I am getting a message that I exceed something. I tried to delete some of the previous pictures but cannot locate that. I need to attach the during the copy picture.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; October 10th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

OK, guys, I finally figured out the reason why the CPU doubled. My SATA drives are AHCI. It was not a hardware, BIOS or Windows. It was TrueCrypt. I forgot all about it that when moving data, it has to encrypt and decrypt or vice versa. That caused the usage of CPU power. I further tested this with an unencrypted drive and voila, no CPU movement or REALTEMP movement. So in a way, you are right Nick. Although this was not compressed or uncompressed, it was encrypted or decrypted which is to your point.

Furthermore, my cpu does not support hardware acceleration for AES:
    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=hardware-acceleration
    http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20011288-12.html

Thanks for your dedication to this thread.

Glussier, thanks for the Water Cooler and Thermal Paste tips.

BTW... Could someone help me with this?
    I am not sure why I can't attach another picture. I am getting a message that I exceed something. I tried to delete some of the previous pictures but cannot locate that. I need to attach the during the copy picture.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; October 10th, 2012 at 05:43 AM.

Thread Information