Cable Modem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Modem

Cable Modem

Last Saturday my cable modem died. It was a cable modem supplied by Comcast, a Docsis 2 unit. I've posted before about speed issues, maybe 8-9 months ago, with that modem. Sunday I started into withdrawal, and my wife started to worry about my condition.

I called Comcast tech support and spoke with a nice young lady. She ended up saying, "Yes, your modem has died. Take it to the service center and trade it for a new one." Bright and early Monday morning I did just that. The service center is here in town. When I got there I was number 35 in line. After less than an hour wait I traded the cable modem for a new one, and the Cable TV box for a new one (old one was pixalating). When I say 'new' in regard to Comcast I mean refurbished. They just keep recycling their equipment.

The new cable modem is a Ubee DDM3513, a Docsis 3 unit. I set it up and fired up the system. It didn't work. I played with that for an hour or so before calling Comcast tech support. I spoke with another nice young lady who finally said, "All my tests from this end indicate that the modem is running as it should. You should be able to go online. I've done all I can do. I'll connect you with a higher level tech. Maybe he can solve this." That higher level tech was no better. He ended up saying, "All my tests from this end say the modem is working, good to go. I've done all I can do. What I'd suggest now is either have a tech guy come out to your house for a paid visit, or have you call our 'pay as you go' tech support."

I declined both offers and went back to work. A bit later my computer went online successfully, but by bypassing the router. I added the router, and eventually got online through that too. Then my wife asked me, "Why isn't my Netflix working?" Back to work. I never got Netflix up, and I'm back to bypassing the router. While the Ubee modem is working, things are much slower than they were with the Docsis 2 modem. Its driving me crazy.

END OF RANT.

The new modem came with absolutely no directions, no documentation. They just said, "Call this number to activate your new modem."

Is there a proper and recommended way to get e new modem up and running? If there is, can I start over on this one? Do cable modems require a specific setup procedure? Which way do I turn on this?

I need some help here, please. OR, do I assume that the new Ubee modem is faulty and trade it in at Comcast for another one?

If I were sitting there, I would un-plug the power cord on both the modem and the router.... I'd wait five minutes and plug the modem in first then the router. Then boot up the computer with fingers crossed.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thank you, sir. Before I do anything which might jeopardize even this slow connection, I'll let my wife pay the current bills.

I'll let answers and suggestions accumulate until she is done.

Okay, we're gaining. I now have the desktop system running with a good connection. Your suggestion worked well. Thank you. However, my grandsons' laptop still is without connection.

The desktop is both hardwired to the router and has a wireless adapter. The hardwire connection seems to be working. The laptop is wireless only, and has no connection. I'm guessing that's the way of it.

Next I'll disconnect the hard wire to the desktop to verify. Would the wireless portion of a router die while the hardwire portion remains active?

Quote Originally Posted by 4breezes
    ... Next I'll disconnect the hard wire to the desktop to verify. Would the wireless portion of a router die while the hardwire portion remains active?
    Yes, it is possible.
    Testing by using the desktop wireless adapter is logical idea.
    Cheers.

On the Laptop go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapter and see if it says it's working correctly. If the Network Adapter isn't listed you may need a Driver.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Device Manager shows two items under Network Adapters. 1) Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN minicard, 2) Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. Device Manager claims both are working properly.

I suspect the problem is more likely in the router. I'll look further at that after I've had more coffee.

As nearly as I can tell the wireless side of my router is dead. I tried the desktop with the hardwire disconnected and the wireless adapter in the USB port, and had no connection. My system cannot find the router, the wireless connection. I tried with my grandsons' laptop with no luck.

My hardwire connection to the desktop is now good, or as good as it gets, but there is no wireless.

I moved the wireless adapter from the back of the tower to the hub, maybe two feet higher, and suddenly was able to receive 3, and sometimes 5, wireless signals, all locked, from my neighbors.

I've replaced the ethernet cable between the modem and the router, and switched it end for end. Is there any way this problem could originate in the modem?

Is there any more definitive way to test the wireless side of the router? Would it perhaps help to re-install the software, drivers?

what kind of router is it? did you do a factory reset? if it still doesn't work after that, then it's probably time to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    what kind of router is it? did you do a factory reset? if it still doesn't work after that, then it's probably time to replace it.
    It's a USRobotics 5462 router, with a couple USR wireless adapters. It's always worked well enough, but that of course doesn't mean that it always will.

I've done several factory resets, and will do another one or two. If it still fails, then I'll have a wired router until such time as I really need/can afford a new wireless router.

When the time comes for a new wireless router, are there any suggestions for make and model? Keep in mind that my system is old and not too fast, and certainly doesn't need the latest and greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by 4breezes View Post

When the time comes for a new wireless router, are there any suggestions for make and model? Keep in mind that my system is old and not too fast, and certainly doesn't need the latest and greatest.
    Newegg.com: Wireless Routers (Sorted by Rating)

As one last attempt try a Post in the Networking Forum.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

4breezes--Have you worked out the economics of renting a cable modem from Comcast vs. buying your own? Or maybe Comcast does not charge you for the modem. They do where I live.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Go to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ to check out router reviews. It depends on how much you want to spend, but I usually recommend the higher end models.

Have you been into the router configuration and definitely ensured that the WiFi is actually enabled? I've seen that setting well hidden in some of them.
    Nick.

Thread Information