Last Saturday my cable modem died. It was a cable modem supplied by Comcast, a Docsis 2 unit. I've posted before about speed issues, maybe 8-9 months ago, with that modem. Sunday I started into withdrawal, and my wife started to worry about my condition.

I called Comcast tech support and spoke with a nice young lady. She ended up saying, "Yes, your modem has died. Take it to the service center and trade it for a new one." Bright and early Monday morning I did just that. The service center is here in town. When I got there I was number 35 in line. After less than an hour wait I traded the cable modem for a new one, and the Cable TV box for a new one (old one was pixalating). When I say 'new' in regard to Comcast I mean refurbished. They just keep recycling their equipment.

The new cable modem is a Ubee DDM3513, a Docsis 3 unit. I set it up and fired up the system. It didn't work. I played with that for an hour or so before calling Comcast tech support. I spoke with another nice young lady who finally said, "All my tests from this end indicate that the modem is running as it should. You should be able to go online. I've done all I can do. I'll connect you with a higher level tech. Maybe he can solve this." That higher level tech was no better. He ended up saying, "All my tests from this end say the modem is working, good to go. I've done all I can do. What I'd suggest now is either have a tech guy come out to your house for a paid visit, or have you call our 'pay as you go' tech support."

I declined both offers and went back to work. A bit later my computer went online successfully, but by bypassing the router. I added the router, and eventually got online through that too. Then my wife asked me, "Why isn't my Netflix working?" Back to work. I never got Netflix up, and I'm back to bypassing the router. While the Ubee modem is working, things are much slower than they were with the Docsis 2 modem. Its driving me crazy.

END OF RANT.

The new modem came with absolutely no directions, no documentation. They just said, "Call this number to activate your new modem."

Is there a proper and recommended way to get e new modem up and running? If there is, can I start over on this one? Do cable modems require a specific setup procedure? Which way do I turn on this?

I need some help here, please. OR, do I assume that the new Ubee modem is faulty and trade it in at Comcast for another one?