New Layout
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Layout

New Layout

My cent and a half.

Compared to the old, if it worked, why fix it?
    Being able to embed videos is a nice touch. Perhaps there are other new features ?
    Otherwise the new layout seems unnecessarily complicated and cluttered. The envelope icons are difficult to differentiate. All that info about who is the originator of a thread seems more than I need to know and clutters the index page.
    I would just as soon get the old layout, but keep the new features.
    How about some explanation as to what is new? It would have been nice to have been alerted that this change was coming. LogIn today was a bit daunting.
    Last edited by Welshjim; July 6th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thumbs down

I agree.....

VB4 is complete trash and a waste of time....

I leave ANY SITE that puts this trash on thier site...... The icons/smilies are disgusting,its slower.. Basically COLOURLESS GARBAGE!!

NO REASON TO PUT THIS CRAP ON ANY SITE!!!!!!! -- WHEN WHAT WAS HERE WAS MUCH BETTER!!!!!!

Well ill write another one off...... IT AMAZES ME PEOPLE DO NOT VALUE QUALITY ANYMORE,THEY THINK THIS IS BETTER.... Totally sickening.......

Truly sad......

Jim - it shouldn't take you or anyone else more than a few minutes to figure things out.

I'm not sure how any sort of advanced notice would have helped... Guess we could have pointed you to a sister site that was upgraded before VDR was and let you get some practice in.

This upgrade has been planned for a really long time.. New servers/new back end software... the whole enchilada...

We'll be tweaking the colors a little to tone them down...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Very nice looking board

The new layout looks great!

I would make the text boxes when you login, and also the search box at the top a little bigger.
    Eric

Looks OK to me.

The search index is being rebuilt so it may be a day or two before that's fully functional. Some of us have also suggested that the navigation and posting etc buttons be modified a bit in shape and/or color to stand out a bit better.. maybe lighter in color and/or shaded or 3D.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

One more positive vote here, really prefer this to the old scheme.
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Sorry but I don't care for it. I don't come here often but anytime I've needed help I always got it here. I still expect the same great advice but I liked being able to see all the latest posts on one page in the old format. Sometimes I would find the answer to my question in those posts before I even asked it. I could always go to any section with the index of different topics on the left side of the page.

I like it....
    Just have to get used to it.... like anything else.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    *** Help others less fortunate.

JESUS IS LORD !

I'm with Welshjim in general and specifically the differentiation of the envelopes. My poor eyesight probably doesn't help (and I'm sure there are others) but I got along just fine without them--don't see a real advantage to them. Much preferred the previous site but will learn to live with this. Virtual Dr. is not the only site that makes dubious "improvements".
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

And, as is noted in another thread, things are now much slower than before.
    I wish someone would tell us what the new features are to help us swallow the new disadvantages.
    (How I hate those envelope icons. And the Last Post column is too narrow to accomodate all the info. The time stamp is often cut off. No way I can see to widen.)
    Last edited by Welshjim; July 14th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

It isn't the site itself that has changed, but is an upgrade to the VBulletin software that runs the site. We need to keep it up to date, because it helps to keep the site visible in search engines. Like any software upgrade, some folks love the changes, and others hate them. But there isn't much we can do about it, the changes to Vbulletin are what they are. Better to make the change and keep us from dropping of the search engines, IMO.

Hopefully we can get any minor tweaks made, though, so please let us know what else you think is wrong. And things should speed up again once the re-indexing is done.
    Nick.

I hear what you say about the site/VBulletin software. It is what it is and I'm not averse to change. I just ignore the changes I don't like and I'm using it pretty much as I always did. They can mail those envelopes off to Mars. The biggest problem is the loss of speed but you say that may come back. If so I don't have any real problem with it. If not I'll still use the site as it has about the best experts and technical help available.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit