flash drives not recognizede

Thread: flash drives not recognizede

Basically my computer will not recognize any flashdrives i install. If I hunt for them, using computer management they show, with a number no letter. And I can populate and I get a letter but it never shows in My Computer or device manager so I cant copy or move files to or from them.

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13 Processor Count: 2 RAM: 2940 Mb Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 128 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 293813 MB, Free - 112042 MB; D: Total - 11416 MB, Free - 11416 MB; E: Total - 152624 MB, Free - 152475 MB; L: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 303304 MB; Motherboard: FOXCONN, Napa Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled
    DagDog

When you find them in computer management, r-click and format them.
    Sounds like someone pulled the sticks without using safely remove and when that is done, generally you can kiss what was on them goodbye.

Check in Device Manager that there are no yellow exclamation marks by any of the USB devices. If there are you may need to reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers.
    Nick.

Well I went thru and took each flash drive I have and reformatted them all. I even downloaded a utility from HP - HPUSBDisk.exe. I reallocated drive letters. Safely Removed. I did get a couple of write protect errors, and a couple of inuse cannot remove/stop. I removed anyways. No issues when I put them back on the PC. I still get no show in My COmputer. I've attached screen shots.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DagDog

What brand are those sticks?

Some brands will interchange between computers than others has been my finding.

well I understand what your saying re brands. but regardless when i slide a flashdrive into one of the usb ports, I get the "ding" sound of hardware being found, but nothing else. I open My Computer and nothing shows. But if I open manage>device manager>disc drives = it is in the list. Of course this all means I cannot read or write to these flash drives. Do I need to uninstall or restore anything?
    DagDog

You have tried all the USB ports on that computer?

I have run into damaged ports, you can go into device manager, remove everything to USB, do not reboot until everything has been removed.

Now reboot, windows should reinstall all the drivers. Make sure they are, and test the ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Sounds like someone pulled the sticks without using safely remove and when that is done, generally you can kiss what was on them goodbye.
    I had one where the computer/port damaged my ocz 4gb drive. Same as the problem posted where you would hear the sound that it was plugged in but no detection or drive letter. I took that flash drive and tried it on many other computers as well but could not get it back up.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Your drive letters are over the place.

You have a partition /drive, K, but it shows as RAW for file system. This usually means the OS doesn't recognize the file system which, in turn, usually means the partition / drive is damaged.

Then you have a second CD drive which has no drive letter. Your DVD drive is letter R, which is kinda strange unless you specifically assign it to be R.

Looks like you have a multi slots card reader hooked up and they shows in My Computer and Device Manager but strangely not in Disk Management.

Then you are missing drive letter F & G

I think you should:

Find out what K is. Uninstall it if it is not needed. Or fix it if it is needed.
    Find out why the CD drive have no drive letter. If it is a broken drive, take it out.
    Take out all your USB device.
    Uninstall all the USB root hubs in Device Manager.
    Reboot computer.
    Wait for all USB root hubs to be automatically reinstalled.
    Open Disk Management.
    Plug in one USB drive.
    Watch in Disk Management for the drive to show up. If a drive letter is not assigned, give it one.
    Eject the USB drive via "Safely Remove"
    Re-insert it to check.

Thread Information