Controller 2934 and 293A has stopped working

Thread: Controller 2934 and 293A has stopped working

Controller 2934 and 293A has stopped working

I tried to use my wireless mouse today on my Dell laptop and it would not work. I am getting a Device status under the Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller 2934 that says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)". I restarted the computer and now I am getting the same message for the Universal Host Controller 293A. I tried to update the drivers via the computer where it says "update drivers" and it searches the computer but that made no difference. From what I have read, code 43 is really a catch all phrase and is not specific about what the problem is. Where is the safest place to get the most updated drivers (other than on my computer) for these if that is what I need to do... and is that what I need to do? There is a Chipset Driver Intel Ver. 8.3.0.1010.zip on CNET for the 2934 but I am not sure that is the right one as it looks like that is a version from 2007 so it is probably not the latest. Does Intel have a site? Most of the sites I've seen are for commercial use and not Intel specific. Is www.intel.official-drivers.com an Intel site? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You might try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly:System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Sometimes, the installation of a program or a driver can cause an unexpected change to your computer or cause Windows to behave unpredictably. Usually, uninstalling the program or driver corrects the problem. If uninstalling doesn't fix the problem, you can try restoring your computer's system to an earlier date when everything worked correctly.

--

Intel's site is: Intel.com

I forget to mention this is a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 - 64 bit. I don't know where to get information about the chipset or anything like that.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    From Dell's website, you will find drivers for your laptop:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    You might try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly:System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Sometimes, the installation of a program or a driver can cause an unexpected change to your computer or cause Windows to behave unpredictably. Usually, uninstalling the program or driver corrects the problem. If uninstalling doesn't fix the problem, you can try restoring your computer's system to an earlier date when everything worked correctly.

--

Intel's site is: Intel.com
    I tried the system restore to a restore point 6 weeks ago when I know the computer was working correctly and there is no longer an exclamation point next to the USB universal host controller 2934 or 293A but still it is not working. When I go into device manager it is showing the Dell touchpad and not the mouse, the wireless keyboard also does not work. I used it for school and then didn't use it for about 10 days and then this problem came up out of the blue.

I tried Intel's site and it directed me to download a troubleshooter that only told me to update my Java and then stated that my system was proprietary and that I would have to seek help elsewhere - that wasn't much help. I have not yet gone to Dell as they charge for any help unless you have a warranty contract with them, which I do not.

I now realize that the USB port is not reading anything as I tried another wireless mouse as well as a flashdrive and it didn't read either one. I tried the other USB port and it didn't read either. Could it be both the USB ports are bad? That they would both go at the same time?

Okay, I checked again and the exclamation point is back next to the Universal Host Controller for 2934 and 293A after I tried the different devices, so I am back to where I started. Where can I download drivers for those... assuming the ones I have are corrupted. Or should I go back even further in the restore point - to March or before?

photolady posted a link where you can get the drivers for your Dell. Try downloading those and installing them. If they don't work, then it is possible, even likely, that your USB controller has failed.

Thread Information