[RESOLVED] Help me buy a computer ! Help!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help me buy a computer ! Help!

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help me buy a computer ! Help!

See previous messages.
    Going out today and tomorrow. I want to walk out the door with a computer. What processors should I look for?

Recommended Athlon II AMD Quad-Core....what other processors should I look for? I'm not buying another computer for 4-5 years. This is my last one!
    P.S. Desktop only.
    Are desktops obsolete????

This looks like an all-in one: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0363454
    How reliable are the all-in-ones?

How about these?
    http://www.officemax.com/technology/...ps-_-save70dol

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0378175
    Last edited by Sal_gal; March 10th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

How do you need to use your computer----

High end games, Autocad, video editing or other demanding programs.

OR

Web surfacing, Office apps, simple games.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by dneilson View Post
    How do you need to use your computer----

High end games, Autocad, video editing or other demanding programs.

OR

Web surfacing, Office apps, simple games.
    No gaming! No gaming. I watch Hulu TV on it. I go to the internet and read the news. I do classwork (Office 2010). Everyday stuff. Photo storage. Nothing that needs a lot of power.
    All I've had are HPs and AMDs.
    Last edited by Sal_gal; March 10th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

I think you'll be more than satisfied with any current new computer you get, whether it be AMD or Intel. Go with the best specs. you can get consistent with what you want to spend.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you need a monitor too?
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Major downside of all in ones is that you can't upgrade anything. They're basically laptops without the lap. The insides of them are almost completely laptop components and if some hardware fails you lose the whole shebang as opposed to testing out individual components to do a repair/replacement on your own.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Cool Bought it

Quote Originally Posted by dneilson View Post
    I think you'll be more than satisfied with any current new computer you get, whether it be AMD or Intel. Go with the best specs. you can get consistent with what you want to spend.
    If I overthink something, I won't do it, so I just went down the street to Best Buy and bought:

HP/Intel G630 (Geek guy said it was a smidge slower than what I had, but I won't notice it)
    Win7 Home
    64 bit
    4 Gig
    1TB
    4 USBs (not happy, I have 6)

So it came in under $500....I'm 95% happy.
    Now I've got to dismantle the old, sell it, try to get some money from it; and transfer files

No more desktops being made? Seems there are more all-in ones and laptops....and the laptops are getting as big as the all-in-ones.
    Last edited by Sal_gal; March 10th, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

The USB ports shouldn't be a problem, you can always use a hub if necessary. Or if there are internal headers on the motherboard, you can add USB backplanes with a couple of ports on. They cost peanuts - I bought some for my last build for £2 each from Amazon.

There are zillions of desktops being made. Despite the hype, I don't see the desktop ever dying out, there will always be things that only work on a powerful PC with a decent size monitor. I just don't see offices full of people tapping away on tablets somehow
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    The USB ports shouldn't be a problem, you can always use a hub if necessary. Or if there are internal headers on the motherboard, you can add USB backplanes with a couple of ports on. They cost peanuts - I bought some for my last build for £2 each from Amazon.

There are zillions of desktops being made. Despite the hype, I don't see the desktop ever dying out, there will always be things that only work on a powerful PC with a decent size monitor. I just don't see offices full of people tapping away on tablets somehow
    So do you think this computer is OK? I'm not 100% happy, and never had an Intel before so I don't know how reliable it is.

As far as reliability is concerned, there is nothing to choose between Intel and AMD. In any case, it is exceedingly rare that a CPU fails, normally other parts die of old age long before the processor.

TBH, I think you could have done a lot better online for your $500, you always pay a premium in a bricks and mortar store. If you can get your money back, and be patient for a bit longer, I really think we could find something a lot better for the same price.
    Nick.

I think the all-in-one boom from every manufacturer (that isn't Apple) came around shortly before the same thing happened in the tablet market. Manufacturers seeing an increase in iMac sales and assuming people are purchasing because it is an all-in-one setup and trying to cater for others with a cheaper alternative.

As Fink mentioned though, they are more of a pain to upgrade, if at all, and as Nick mentioned, you are always better off buying online, there are plenty of online stores that cater to your needs, even if you do plan to keep the same setup for ±5 years, i would at least take comfort in the fact that systems bought from the likes of Newegg can be upgraded to a degree at some point down the line, whether it be with more RAM, more drives, extra USB ports as mentioned.

The big downfall with buying from a street retailer (after price) is proprietary parts, and limited upgradability, something we can all agree to loathe around here.

I know it means waiting a few days for delivery from an online retailer, but its worth the wait IMO...just my £0.02 anyway.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

As SuperSparks and liam858 mentioned you can get a better computer for that money. You said you hope to keep it for 4 or 5 years so you ought to get the best you can now. You should be able to return it.

Best Buy return policy----

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at204400050028
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive

If you are the adventurist type...
    IMHO THIS would be better...
    Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Press f1 to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_gal View Post
    If I overthink something, I won't do it, so I just went down the street to Best Buy and bought:

HP/Intel G630 (Geek guy said it was a smidge slower than what I had, but I won't notice it)
    Win7 Home
    64 bit
    4 Gig
    1TB
    4 USBs (not happy, I have 6)

So it came in under $500....I'm 95% happy.
    Now I've got to dismantle the old, sell it, try to get some money from it; and transfer files

No more desktops being made? Seems there are more all-in ones and laptops....and the laptops are getting as big as the all-in-ones.
    As long as you are happy with your purchase at this point in time, that's really all that matters. I usually build computers for myself and family, but don't go over what anyone is willing to spend. Once done though, we never look at prices again as they always go down. We all have desktops and laptops, and use both at different times. Can't see desktops fading for a while. Good luck.

Thread Information