[RESOLVED] JPEGs download as BMP -Windows 7

Thread: [RESOLVED] JPEGs download as BMP -Windows 7

Resolved [RESOLVED] JPEGs download as BMP -Windows 7

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7, and Internet Explorer 8. On any jpg, png, gif, photo I download, that photo ends up being a bmp. I saw another thread on this topic, but can't seem to find it here ( I saw it on google).

The different problem I'm having is that I have deleted all temporary files, and have turned off all add-ons for IE 8. Still am getting the .bmp problem.

Are there any other things I might try to alleviate this bmp problem? Thanks in advance.

Sarge

Does the same thing happen if you use a different browser? If not, then try increasing the size of IE's cache (Internet Options>General>Browsing History>Settings), and see if that helps.
    Nick.

USAFsarge--Perhaps of help
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...3-aeb0a8718925

The following reference may not be valid for IE 8 and Win 7, but may help you understand what is referred to in the above reference.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810978

And see the very last post here http://superuser.com/questions/61623...-to-solve-this
    Last edited by Welshjim; February 25th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

As SuperSparks says, read this article from Microsoft

btw what happens if you just drag the image to your desktop?

Found what I did wrong in stopping jpgs into becoming bmps

Thank you very much for your link.

Well, I get the stupid award with this problem. I went back to Internet Options, under Tools, in IE 8. I failed to see that there were two checkboxes to check/uncheck to delete one's temporary files. I had only checked one of the boxes further down on the list of things to delete.

I went back and clicked on the upper checkbox to uncheck it (Preserve Favorites Website Data -this was the one that did the trick ), and voila, that operation took a very long time. It cured my problem. Now jpgs, and the other formats download as themselves.

That was a humbling experience, but happily one that I'll remember. I must have had an innumerable amount of temporary files that "Preserve Favorites Website Data was causing my computer to hang onto. The moral of the story is to check/uncheck, as necessary, on both the temporary checkboxes in the delete dialogue box you get, when you click on delete browsing history. Makes a big difference.

Hope that is a help for others - look at both checkboxes.

Thanks again for your support. Glad to have found this website!!! It helps clear the air when you are stuck, or lost.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you got it all sorted out
    Nick.

Yes, good link, SuperSparks!!
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thanks, guys, for the wealth of information, including the comprehensive linked websites. This particular problem seems to be quite widespread. One of these days Microsoft will come up with an automatic solution to this problem, or am I engaging in wishful thinking?

This is a great website!

Thread Information